alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Replacing cork drag system in an old Fin Nor-30 with new cork."What Glue to Use"
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 19, 2017, 10:14:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing cork drag system in an old Fin Nor-30 with new cork."What Glue to Use"  (Read 859 times)
funhog

« on: September 11, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »

Found a box of replacement parts that included the cork drag washer for my old FN 30- Lite, I plan to keep it stock as its still a good fish-able reel  My question is: what glue to use to re install with the new cork washer. I read where some have used the Loctite 330. However, I believe it was due to heat issues generated the carbontex/CF up-grades. Im going to keep it stock and I don't think cork has the same heat problems. The cork is quite a bit thicker( about 1/4". I'm not sure, but I think the cork dissipates the heat quicker. Any thought on what they used "Back in the Day", or what I should use that's available today?  Thanks! ...John
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »

loctite depend 330 is the best around, but it's prohibitively expensive.  i've used ordinary 5 minute epoxy and it's been ok. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

You should reconsidered upgrading to CF?  I have had thick metal washers to do this cut in the past.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:19:18 PM by Keta » Logged

In the morning when I wake up I will see what tomorrow will bring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »

and yes, switch over to carbon fiber. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
funhog

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I have located all the materials to go either way, Cork or CF. I really enjoy the reel and I'm a little torn on which way to go.
A few questions:
 Cork is soft and the reel has a pretty nice drag curve. Will the CF drag glued to a SS spacer washer to make it the same thickness as the original cork washer flatten or change this up significantly?
 Would cutting several CF washers, then stacking & glueing them with the Lactate 330 (to the reels cleaned-up drag plate) to get to the correct cork thickness be a better option?
 In reading Sal's rebuild of the regal I believe he said he screwed the spacer washer in place with the CF drag on it.?..countersunk screws?
I have the tools and skills. I just need a a little feed back to make the decision. Its caught a lot of fish and one I have confidence in when fishing with it. I don't want to doubts.
thanks!    johnA

Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:31:50 AM »

I can have a SS plate cut for $3.00-$4.00 and will let you have it for what it cost me, most likely less than the CF material.  I would need dimensions including the thickness you need.

In the morning when I wake up I will see what tomorrow will bring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: