Shakespeare 2110 disassembly

Started by joesan, September 12, 2017, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesan

Started to tear down my old Shakespeare 2110 and when I got to the part where you separate the head from the body, I got stuck.
I don't see any way to remove any nut or screw to get the body and head apart.

I have also been on a treasure hunt for my trip lever spring which departed for that big black hole called "now where the heck did that thing go?"

FRED...HELP!

Joe

"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

Midway Tommy

I've never worked on one of those but my best guess is that there's a retainer C-clip in the groove between the pinion gear and bearing plate/rotor assembly. Maybe it's rotated down so it's difficult to see. Schematics are hard to come by for that model.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

Tommy has it. Between the pinion gear and body inside the reel is a clip that is "U" shaped. Get a small sharp tool to lift it up or a small screwdriver.

The "U" clip is shown upside down right above and next to the small gear (pinion gear)

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

happyhooker

That's good info to know--about that clip.  Might run across another reel worked the same way.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on September 13, 2017, 02:17:49 AM
That's good info to know--about that clip.  Might run across another reel worked the same way.

Frank

A lot of the older reels are set up that way. Any time rotor disassembly isn't completely obvious that's the first place I check out. Many times there's so much old grease there it's still hard to figure out.  ::)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

joesan

thanks guys, I'll check it out in the morning.

Lo and behold, miracles do happen...my wonderful, gorgeous, fantastic wifey found my trip spring!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: joesan on September 13, 2017, 05:10:42 AM
thanks guys, I'll check it out in the morning.

Lo and behold, miracles do happen...my wonderful, gorgeous, fantastic wifey found my trip spring!

Usually, about once a month, I groom the carpet in my office/reel room with a 150 magnet to find some of those escapees.  :D 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

joesan

Tommy and Frank, thanks for the info...the clip was easy to remove and am now ready for cleaning.

I have one question...there is a pin that connects the yoke to the shaft. It seems to be bent and I don't know if this is intentional ( ensuring a tight fit, but I was able to remove the pin easily with just my fingers)or a bad pin that needs to be replaced. The pics are the pin showing the bend, the pin and the shaft, and 2 pics of the pin in the yoke and the shaft.  I hadn't experienced any issue with the reel.

I have done some searching for a schematic of the 2110, with no luck. Every other schematic I see for Shakespeare 2xxx reels at reelschematic.com shows a different setup for the shaft/yoke/pinion.

Any thoughts on the pin issue would be appreciated. I probably won't find a new one, so before I try to fix this one, it would be nice to see if it is meant to be bent.

Once again, thanks for all the help
Joe

joesan

Keith, sorry I forgot to thank you as well

Joe

Midway Tommy

Kieth's going to have to answer that one since I've never been inside one of those. It could be bent originally to fit tightly in the shaft hole, got bent from stress or someone intentionally bent it to remove slack. See what Kieth thinks but if it goes in all the way, is tight and works fine I wouldn't worry too much about it.  

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

handi2

I think Tommy answered your question. Its bent, or the wrong part, but it works. If the line is reeling on the spool just right I would leave it alone.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

joesan

since it works as a "keeper", I'll take your advice and just use it the way it is.

It all looks like this now, and I'll post a new pic when it is finished

Thanks again guys

joesan

Well, I finally got it done. Without a schematic and not paying attention to how it came apart I thought I would be in major trouble, but with prayer and patience (and Tommy's assurance I'd get it done)I got it back together with one small problem. I lost the small shim under the cam for the anti-reverse lever and had to improvise a solution to make the lever fit properly, since I couldn't find a small shim with a large diameter hole in a not much larger diameter shim.
Anyway, as we (Chayse a 10 year old) was trying it out, caught a 10inch SM Bass. I didn't think a smile could get that big.

foakes

Good work, Joe --

And thank you for the gift can of Kroil -- it arrived in the mail today.

Look forward to using it

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

So, you broke in that 2110 with a nice fish (& a happy partner in the bargain).

I got a Ryobi RSX2 recently that apparently has a U-shaped clip like you faced with the 2110 (to hold the rotor on to the body), so seeing what you had to do gives me a leg up when I get to working on the Ryobi.

Frank