Shakespeare 2110 disassembly

Started by joesan, September 12, 2017, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesan

If I can help in any way Frank, let me know. I don't know how closely the Shakespeare resembles your Ryobi, but there doesn't seem to be anything fancy in my old reels. Fred, Tommy and the rest of the crew here will give you the confidence to just do it.
Be sure to take photos from many angles during the tear downs and it can make re-assembly so much easier if you don't have a schematic. Unfortunately I learned that lesson too late. Also, the small springs for bails, anti-reverse and such can be "little dabs of nastiness" along with very small and thin shims. Some of these appeared only when I cleaned all the parts in solvent as they stuck to other parts tenaciously. Fred warned me about that too, but I still managed to lose a few. Good luck.
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

joesan

Fred, I love the Kroil and have used it originally for engine tear downs and now use it for any nut, bolt screw removal especially when it looks like it is rusted shut forever. Soak the spot and leave it for 1/2 hour and it has never failed to do the job.

happyhooker

Quote from: joesan on October 15, 2017, 05:33:10 AM

Be sure to take photos from many angles during the tear downs and it can make re-assembly so much easier if you don't have a schematic.

I take pics sometimes, but I've always liked to sketch & usually make drawings as I go about springs going in this-a-way, roller guides going in that-a-way & so forth. I keep a running narrative so I have notes for future reference & if anyone asks about something.  Keep it all in a binder.

joesan

Your method sounds good too. I guess I'm too impatient to do that. I now have my phone sitting next to me when I work on a reel and just make snapshots at each stage. At my age, 75, I need the pictures.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Joe, you got it working and catching fish again. Best of all, you were able to get a BIG OL' SMILE  ;D, and that's what it's all about!  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)