Shakespeare 2200CK 040 Rebuild (with schematics for all 2200CK models)

Started by Ruffy, September 14, 2017, 02:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Quote from: happyhooker on October 15, 2017, 02:30:26 AM
Thanks for putting in the time on this, Ruffy.  Nice looking reel.  Questions: 1) what is the country of manufacture for your reel; 2) on the bail arms, are they metal or plastic (or one of each)?

Frank

Hi Frank,
I only just saw this sorry! The country of Manufacture on these is Japan, as stamped on the reel foot. With regards to your second question, do you mean the two covers on the sides of the rotor? I've taken a photo of one but they are both the same metal material, my guess is aluminium.

I also upgraded the original felt washers to carbontex. Dawns size 2 carbontex (16.8 x 4.3 x 1 mm, OD x ID x Thickness) are a straight drop in replacement, no cutting necessary.

I finally got out for a flick at the local creek with this reel yesterday. No fish this time but it performed flawlessly and certainly has a spot on the rack! Also, a big thank you to the Boss for sending through an AT wrench, the generosity on this website is what makes it amazing!

Cheers,
Andrew

happyhooker

Howdy:

Thanks for the info on this reel.  That drag upgrade sure looks like a winner.

By bail arms, I mean the parts to which either end of the bail attach.  On one end, it would be the part that the line guide/roller is attached to; on the other, where the plain end of the bail attaches to the rotor.

Tried wetting line myself this afternoon; a bit chilly (40 degrees, cloudy & windy) & I had no better luck than you did.

Frank

Ruffy

Hi Frank,
I had a squiz this afternoon and the bail arms are plastic at both ends. I've got some photos of the back sides of them, you can see marks from the moulding.

Cheers,
Andrew

happyhooker

Again, thanks for the information.  I want to read through your tutorial again too--interesting.

Frank

Ruffy

I ended up getting three more of these second hand, figured they'd make good reels for the three kids. Bought two from one chap on gumtree, both reels had half a beach inside and some surface corrosion on the outside. Sanded them back, repainted with a spray can and slapped them together with carbontex for good measure. Only issues are the bails are a bit bent out of shape (I've tried to straighten as best I can) and one has a loose handle where the peened in shaft is now spinning. They'll fish as is for now though! I notice both of them had a shim on the drive gear that the NIB reel I got last year did not. Has anyone ever seen that before?

The third reel stung me a little bit. Looked identical on line, I pulled the trigger and got it in my hands, only to find out it was "Made in Korea". An identical 2200ck form Korea and not Japan, watch out, they're out there! Does anyone know how well they hold up when compared to the Japanese counterparts? Do I keep it for spares or just palm it off for a few bucks?

Cheers,
Andrew

happyhooker

I have a couple of Alpha 2100s that were made, I think, in Korea.  Guessing they followed your Sigmas, time-wise, or maybe they were made around the same time.  The internals look very similar to the Sigmas, although I can't say one way or the other if they are made of the same materials.  Metal-bodied and also look like the Sigmas, although silver in color rather than black.

Frank

happyhooker

Had one of my Alpha 2100s apart today (035 size); they are remarkably similar to the Sigmas internally; I did note, however, that my reel has a regular thread nut holding the rotor on, NOT a left-hand like the Sigma earlier discussed  That could mess someone up.  Only a 2-screw bearing retainer, although I see the schematic for the 2100B shows  3-screw. Little different bail trip setup.

Frank

Reelmeneer

I have a 2200-040 with nut covering the handle hole missing... anyone over here that has got one left over?

Rbruce63

Quote from: Ruffy on September 14, 2017, 03:59:04 AM
There you go Fred! Do you know if there was much difference between the 2200 and 2200CK models then? I vividly remember dads reel being a front drag 070 like the one in your photo, I am not going crazy!

Cheers,
Andrew

What a beauty of a reel is that 040 and 070! I have an 040, an 035, an 025 and I am waiting for an 030! I hope to find an 050 too!
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica