Monofil 27 Restoration

Started by mo65, September 14, 2017, 06:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

These Coloromic reels continue to soar in price...I don't get it...last winter you could buy any model or color for around $25-$50. I guess I should have filled my stable then, but I was pre-occupied with Senators. There just ain't enough hours in the day to be a successful reel collector! :D ::) 8)

I found this well worn fuchsia/cranberry/magenta Monofil 27 on fleabay, the price seemed right for the condition. What's with the leather drag flap? I thought those were for knuckle busters? I was pleased to find all the plastic was in fine shape. The bling can be replaced.

Tearing the reel down I noted this countersunk gear sleeve...never saw one of these before. All the ones I've handled have straight 90 degree cuts. Also note the condition of those leather drags, they still have some grain showing in the leather. Maybe the user kept the drag backed off and relied on that ol' leather strap.

Inside was the typical "fleabay lube job", a generous splash of oil directly over the dried up 50 year old grease. We all say any lube is better than no lube...but this is one situation where I'd prefer the thing left dry! My God, the smell, that fresh oil seems to activate the old greases and corrosion, even the cigarette smell seems to increase.

Holy Cannoli, this looks better, smells better too. All functions operating as intended.

Here's the plastic parts all cleaned up along side the new bling pieces. It's interesting to note I really didn't save much by doing the resto work myself. When all was said and done I had as much in this reel as if I had bought it all finished. No free lunch...

The finished reel looks fantastic. Now to find his green and grey brothers. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Hey Mo, that looks great! If you find the other two, are you gonna photo them on matching blankets too?  ;D

Always wanted a monofil. I don't think I've ever come across one in a flea market or pawn shop.

foakes

We can all blame Lou for the price of Monofils going through the roof.   ;D ;D ;D

That, and the largest website on the WWW that gets close to 3,000,000 unique hits a month.

However, this site is all about sharing and learning -- not hoarding and keeping things a secret.

I have possibly 6 or 8 shortcuts, parts changeouts & substitutions, product observations -- that I will be sharing with members over the next year or so (just got to find the right time).

Some are so simple and cheap -- we will all wonder why we never thought of that before.

And you all have your own neat tricks that can be shared.

Good work on that old cranberry mono, Mike...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done Mo. Of course you know the monofils are some of my favorites. I wouldn't say mine were all bargain priced when I bought them, though a good part of them were, but I definitely have a feeling they're worth quite a bit more than I paid for them.

Keep up the great work and all the best,  ..  Lou

PS Fred, its not my fault. (lol) .... I just happen to like them and was out of control as usual. I'll have to take a count someday but it wouldn't surprise me if there were 30 or more in the collection. I have heard there were a few oddballs in black made but I've never seen one!

Oh yah, I like squidders too! Matter of fact I like em all!

Tightlines667

Nice!

BTW, that countersunk gear sleeve is realitivly common and pre 1955ish Penns.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Been a fan of the Monofi since I inherited my dad's 27. The colored ones are nice too. I still use the 27 and a narrowed gray 25 fishing at the local pier. I added bigger handles for a little more power. Nice reels for fishing 20lb and look good on the selve too.
Still trying to find a teal level wind apparently so is everyonne else
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

If only Penn had known that colored bakelite would increase the value of their reels so much.  I like them too but have managed to control myself so far.

That cool honey colored football knob clashes with your magenta reel Mo.  What a tough decision that becomes.
-steve

Bill B

Outstanding job on the rebuild Mo....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on September 14, 2017, 11:34:07 PM
If only Penn had known that colored bakelite would increase the value of their reels so much.  I like them too but have managed to control myself so far.

That cool honey colored football knob clashes with your magenta reel Mo.  What a tough decision that becomes.
-steve

X2
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Great Job as usual Mo.
That Fushia really pops!
I've stock piled quite a few of the Monofil's, 155's and other beachmasters.
I got on the bandwagon before it headed south and stocked up on narrow aluminum spools as well.
I have plenty of Surfmasters too.
I doubt they will ever dry up, But pickins' is slim these days.
I've been looking for a Nice 250 for quite some time and can't seem to find one for a good price.
A red handle will be icing on the cake.

Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 15, 2017, 12:30:31 AM
I've been looking for a Nice 250 for quite some time and can't seem to find one for a good price.
A red handle will be icing on the cake.

I'll keep my eyes peeled Daron. I like that 250 Surfy too...it's a low geared Jigmaster. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~