side plate drilling

Started by farmer56, September 14, 2017, 11:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer56 here...  hey guys has any one drilled and counter sunk side plate holes on penn 60, 155, 160,or other reels ....  some i think, but every time i think ,i get in trouble, are bakelite  ..... i will buy any bit ,end mill bit what ever it takes ......need sizing   style  brand.... maybe im nuts but i though about adding extra posts to some of my reels....will the side plates only chip ...farming this year has been challenging  but then i  think about the challenges texas and florida are golng threw now   ....  really  puts things in perspective    farmer56 out

Shark Hunter

My concern would be the plate cracking. It is thinnest there.
Life is Good!

farmer56

farmer56 here    hi shark hunter    ........   my thought was the factory drilled the side plates why cant we ...  or do the age of the plates make them brittle.... someone out there must have tried it... if not once fall work is over ...mid. nov. i  will try  drilling and counter sinking extra holes in a crappie junk side plate    farmer56 out

Shark Hunter

The age of the plates will definitely make them more brittle.
I concentrate more on the gears, frame, drivetrain, drags and handle upgrades.
On the 155's, I upgrade the screws to socket head stainless.
I'm not deterring you. JMO
Life is Good!

farmer56

farmer56 here  .  shark hunter  you are not deterring   me   i really like seeing  multiple posts , has that   look   of   pure   power ....   

oc1

I think you could do it with low speed and lubrication to keep it from over-heating.  The screws will tell you what bit and countersink to use.
-steve

sdlehr

I also think it can be done with the same caveats that Steve mentioned. Use a drill press. They're all bakelite, but I know it can be drilled, and I don't know for sure that old bakelite is any more brittle than new bakelite, it's pretty stable stuff. Drill press, slow speed, and lubrication should do it. Let us know how it goes.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

farmer56

farmer56 here  me being a non-machinist thought super high speed drilling  ..thanks for advice...farmer56 out

Army_of_One

Start with the smallest bit you can and work your way up to the right size. Drilling too fast will heat up and possibly burn the plate
Another day in Paradise!

PacRat

I use to drill and mill lots of bakelite. I would purchase solid carbide drills (not carbide tipped). This is because bakelite dulls tooling very quickly but for just one or two plates high speed steel will probably be okay. Just use nice fresh quality bits to avoid small chips around the edges of the holes. If you have some old plates practice on those first. You'll likely be counter-boring for the screw heads. I always had the cleanest cuts with solid carbide end-mills with spiral or twisted flutes rather than the straight flutes with carbide inserts. Sharpness, speed and a solid clamp or fixture are your friends.
Mike

Rancanfish

And maybe try running standard bits in reverse to start the hole so they don't grab a chip.......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

farmer56

farmer56 here  thanks for all the advise ,  once  fall harvest is over i will attempt on  broken plate ... by mid.  nov. i will give report  farmer56  out