Rod suggestions for surfmaster 100

Started by Jenx, September 14, 2017, 11:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

Like the title says I'm looking for advice on a rod to pair with a surfmaster 100. I plan on fishing this as a 15-20lb live bait setup (probably more in the 20lb size), and I need a rod to pair with it. For those of you who have fished with a 100, or still currently do, what rod(s) have you used?

I did some web searching and all I could find was one guy mentioning he paired his with a Saber 196-7. I'm open to both newer rods, and older pre-21 century rods.

Thanks.

George6308

For my Penn 180 which is the same size as the 100 I have used two Ugly Stick rods median action rods 8 ft 6 in long for back bay southern NJ fishing and one 8 ft 3 in median action rod. They are sold as down rigger rods. Had them for over 30 years.

Alto Mare

Mine is mounted on a penn long beach light action 12-30lb line.
I fish with it and really like this rod.
Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jenx

Porthos

My similar sized Penn Monofil 27 with the 100's 29L-100 spool is fished on these:

• As a 20-30lb setup on an Okuma Oceanic OC-C-701MH.
  • As a 30-40lb setup on an Okuma Catalina CT-C-661MH.

JRD

I fish two surfmaster 100s.  Both on 196-7.  Gotta admit the Seeker 196-7 is a little noodley (not sure that's a word) though.  The Calstar is more in the 20lb range.  IMHO.

MarkT

The 196 is a classic 15# rod while the 270 is a 20# rod.  The Seeker Classics are built with the old Sabre mandrels hence 'Classic'.  Calstar stiffened up their versions so they tend to be at least a half a rating higher than Sabre/Seeker.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Composites are more pricey but IMO well worth it. A Calstar 800XL will fish 15-20 lb test great, I use one for my 20 lb setup. I also have a Seeker, Black Steel 196-8 and love this rod. The Black Steel is a little more heavy in over weight than the Graphiters and will fish up to 15 lb test fine.

Decker

Quote from: Jenx on September 14, 2017, 11:42:06 PM
Like the title says I'm looking for advice on a rod to pair with a surfmaster 100. I plan on fishing this as a 15-20lb live bait setup (probably more in the 20lb size), and I need a rod to pair with it. For those of you who have fished with a 100, or still currently do, what rod(s) have you used?

I don't know what a "live bait setup" is, probably because I'm from the other coast.  I have a Jigmaster 146 (pretty much the same as the 100, but with spool bearings) and I use it for light surf/jetty/back-bay fishing with a 9 foot whippy ugly stik.     

joel8080

I have a Surfmaster 200 in a 100 size, Tiburon frame, and hot rodded, 40 spectra and mounted on a Cal Star T196

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Jenx

Thank you for the responses.

I own a Uglystik Custom Bigwater rod (12-30lb) that I have never had a chance to use. I think I'm going to pair them up and see how they feel together. The tip is a bit soft, but luckily I only plan on using it for fly lining live bait instead of casting, so the noodly tip shouldn't be a problem.

I have a a swimbait rod, and a couple of heavier bass rods in the 20lb+ range that would have worked perfectly if only this reel would fit in a trigger grip reel seat.

Jenx

I bought a Calstar 270-7 today off of Craigslist that came with a Surfmaster 200. I paid $40 for the combo. I didn't need the reel, but he wouldn't separate them.

The 196-7 was the rod I had been keeping an eye out for, but I remember the 270 being mentioned in here, and the price was right.

Thanks for the advice.

Swami805

Sweet deal right there, just the rod for 40 was a deal. That combo will serve you well.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jkjhung

Quote from: Jenx on October 22, 2017, 07:43:02 PM
I bought a Calstar 270-7 today off of Craigslist that came with a Surfmaster 200. I paid $40 for the combo. I didn't need the reel, but he wouldn't separate them.

The 196-7 was the rod I had been keeping an eye out for, but I remember the 270 being mentioned in here, and the price was right.

Thanks for the advice.

$40?? Sweet deal. I just bought a seeker 270-7 American series for my 100

Ron Jones

A 270-7 and a 100 will make a very nice setup regardless of what line you chose. Love that action.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"