Main Menu

Gloomy Forecast

Started by swill88, September 15, 2017, 02:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

I think the bigger reason for the '76 M.F.C.A.(Mag. Fishery Conservation Act), was for military defensive purposes. Water and Airspace security. They have certainly poured alot of resources into fishery law enforcement though.
So Fred, 400 miles? Does that mean we'd get the whole Bearing Strait?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Don't think we would get the whole Bearing Strait, Greg  ;D ;D ;D

Russia might have a little to say about that...so it would be split down the middle, likely.

Hmmm... but maybe McDonald's throughout Cuba?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 15, 2017, 07:21:47 AM
The 200 mile EEZ is enforced, and many steps have been taken to improve reporting, trackablity, and accountability for all international fishing vessels.  There are AIS, VMS and ither systems in place, as well as griwing observer programs collecting data on many of the internationsl fishing and transshipment vessels.  I have been involved with aiding international capacity building, and the development of programs to improve reporting.  llegal, unreported, and underreported fishing is still an international problem, but many strides have been made in the past decade plus.  I don't want to get into my or my agencies views on this issue because it is political, but it is an important issue.

http://globalfishingwatch.org/map/

I have been using the GFW app for some time.  I question why their data is "so old"?  My Marine watch app shows live time AIS.  I asked GFW about it and they said it was regulatory?  Seems to me someone is manipulating the project data.  Probably just my conspiracy tendencies but why not utilize live data like everyone else.
Admins, feel free to delete any if these posts as you see fit.

Steve-O

Wow! Great stories in the thread post about Keith Davis and his Dad. So sad the ending, true, but Keith lived large while so many of us...well ...live differently than that.

Hopefully, we avoid Soylent Green.

Tightlines667

Here is a video of a song Keith Davis wrote for observers who have passed...

He wrote this about a year before his own dissapearance at sea.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

kmstorm64

Not just China, other countries have been busted up in Georgia's Bank illegally harvesting, and I have heard from Kayaker sites that boats from Japan as well.  Let us not forget the state to state fishing that goes on when one season opens earlier in one state over another. Fishing boats from WA and OR will encroach on CA and vice versa. That aids stress to the fisheries as well.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!