Wrong SS gear sleeve for 5+1 drag

Started by Deepsouth, September 15, 2017, 07:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepsouth

I believe I ordered the wrong SS  gear sleeve for my 500. Do I have to have the gear sleeve with the flats that are full length to utilize Mr Youngs 5+1 drag system? The gear sleeve I ordered from Black Pearl doesn't have the flats cut full length. This part of the parts swapping is a bit confusing.

handi2

The regular SS gear sleeve is fine. Its the main gear that matters. Any of the main gears that have the stock or more depth inside.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

The gear sleeve will be fine.  My drag kit goes into the main gear.  If you ordered the under-gear kit, then you wouldn't be able to use it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Deepsouth

Does your under gear kit produce more drag? Would I be better off with the other gear sleeve?

Bryan Young

It's possible to increase drag by 3#. Not segnificant enough for a jigmaster, but I do believe that the drag would be smoother at higher drag ranges.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Deepsouth

Mr Young thank you for your help. 2 more questions if you don't mind. Which drag kit do I need to buy for the reel we are speaking about? In the future I'm building another Jigmaster which sleeve do I need for tour under drag kit? Once again thanks for your help.

Deepsouth

I may have figured it out would it be the 2nd gen gear sleeve?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Deepsouth on September 16, 2017, 01:02:01 PM
I may have figured it out would it be the 2nd gen gear sleeve?
You figured it out.