New rings for a Squidder.

Started by Stevedel, September 16, 2017, 11:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevedel

I've been pouring over this and the Senator forums. I haven't seen this issue addressed yet.

In addition to the swelling of the bakelite, the siderings could use attention.

I E-bayed a 140 Squidder and found very minor corrosion on the siderings. So I ordered a new pair. After sizing the outer sideplate to accept them I was confronted with the screws not wanting to fully seat themselves on the soft chrome covered brass. I tried a number of things and my best solution was to put a 15/64 118 degree split-point drillbit in an old 1/4in. chuck and give it a few twists. The drill chuck, off the drill of course, gives leverage and enough handle to apply pressure while turning. It takes little time and, once you get one, the rest will be easy.

I'm sure that you guys are savvy enough that, if you don't have an extra drill chuck, you can take one off your drill. Just don't forget the left hand threaded screw that's down the center. 

RowdyW

I would have modified the screw heads with a drill motor & file rather then peel the chrome on new rings.

Stevedel

Or, just get some round head screws.

But I had no problem with the chrome peeling and the properly seated oval heads look just as they should.