Any One Got Answer For This

Started by Rivverrat, September 17, 2017, 12:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

After working on reels for long hours I thought I might be going nutty.
Has any one else seen this ? I've seen it in two 331's.

What I'm talking about is the black spot in the bottom of the bearing recess. It's not paint or old grease. It's hard like epoxy.
Click on the pick to enlarge....Jeff

Rivverrat

I went back through several I'd already serviced just to make sure I'm not crazy. This filler material is in the same place I've seen it

festus

l've never seen it and have no idea what it is.  ls it affecting anything from functioning properly?

Rivverrat

Causes no issues at all. It looks like possibly there was a mistake & a filler was used. Ive not been brave enough to scrape it down to bare metal to find out for sure. Just a curiosity on my part is my reason for posting it....Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

looks like a fault in casting machining - then infilled to make good :-\

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 17, 2017, 09:57:04 PM
looks like a fault in casting machining - then infilled to make good :-\

Yup, my thoughts also. Really no issue for me...Jeff

Rivverrat

in fact after blowing up the first pic I posted I'm going to say it is filler for a flaw in the casting. You can also see in the magnified pic galling from the bearing spinning in it's recess

Rivverrat

I'm for certain its an epoxy filler of some type used to fill in a small flaw in the casting... Jeff

oldmanjoe

I do not think it is a filler .     i think it is Prussian blue   [ a machinists ink ] 
  I had one on a 440 case and it scrape off with a knife blade .

May be left on from a random  quality check   ?        joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

It's not any kind or type of lay out fluid Prussian, Dykem or any other. There is a very definite void below this material. That looks exactly like what one sees from a casting flaw.

However it causes no issues what so ever... Jeff

mo65

You don't miss a beat ...do ya Jeff? ;) I do remember seeing that spot on my 221 while it was disassembled. Another DAM Quick mystery! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Mike, I'd like to mention, while most of us like our reels of what ever vintage to be as close to perfect as possible these little imperfection that on occasion show up with these Quick Reels doesnt effect their performance at all. Like to be clear on that  ;D