Penn 10 Mag - cut down

Started by mhc, September 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Mike - great project executed with skill and patience. It has given me a few ideas for the future - ideas I didn't need I just want more time ;D ;D ;D

sdlehr

I'm disappointed in myself for not following this thread sooner. Excellent work, Mike, as usual!!!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mhc

Thanks for the kind words guys and thanks for your patience, it's taken a while to get this little monster ready to test. I can blame the lag time waiting for delivery of parts for some of the time but mostly it's just getting the time to spend on it. Thanks again to Sal for the donor reel and Bryan for the drag stack.

Quote from: mo65 on November 25, 2017, 02:50:36 PM
  Great idea Mike! I never thought of putting a downward bend in those ears, that should be just enough to eliminate the worry of popping over the gear when the drags are backed off. You'll still want to be careful with that 5-stack though...I believe it can develop enough power to stress the gears if ya really cranked 'er down. 8)
Thanks Mo, but I copied the idea from someone here - not sure who I saw do it first Bryan, Sal or Lee with one of his custom 349 stacks. I agree the gears might not handle the full power of Bryan's kit - I won't be using more than around 8 lbs with it.
Bryan - the color looks a bit washed out in the photo but the 5-10 main gear is brass with finer teeth than the 5-60 main gears.

Quote from: oc1 on November 25, 2017, 08:51:15 PM
Good going Mike.  I don't know what type of finish you have in mind but you might check out Simichrome polish.
-steve
Steve - I've been thinking about a paint or some sort of epoxy finish to hide the grey Frankenstein scars on the plates but am concerned about long term durability - if a coating doesn't last it will end up looking as bad or worse than it looks now. I'm leaning towards putting up with the scars and polishing it as it is - haven't tried Simichrome but will look into it. The best option would have been to use a high strength epoxy that cures black to glue the pieces in the first place, then just polish it like you've suggested. Trouble is finding a thick epoxy that cures black, it seems the ones that say they are black, like the PC-7 that I used actually end up dark grey.

Quote from: David Hall on November 26, 2017, 08:04:03 AM
Wow, fantastic, awesome, tell the truth, you never colored inside the lines when you were a kid did you.
Haha - nope, the lines were always more of a guide rather than a boundary - a bit like line marking on roads  :o ;D ;D

Next up is a similar thing with a 210 - I've had a good look at squidder spools and the 210 side plates and don't think I can use a squidder spool with the 210 head plate or a squidder tail plate with the 210 spool, so it will be 210 spool width with modified 210 head and tail plates.

Thanks again,
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

hurt locker

Awesome craft man ship! Great thread and Thank you for sharing your great work.

Pelagicide

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 23, 2017, 03:26:09 PM
I dont mean to speak for him, but looks like he is re-profiling the side plates to eliminate the level wind and reduce the overall diameter.  By adding the 3mm plates and removing the original inside chrome plates he will be changing to a stronger, narrowed stand and using the much stronger 501 narrow solid spacer bars in lieu of the original round posts.  In the end he will end up with a stronger reel in a more compact size, as compared to the original Mag 10.   Bill

Now that's customizing a reel! I'm embarrassed to even ask my life question - doubly so because I can't even figure out how to post a picture that illustrates my issue better than I could ever describe it!

mhc

A year later.... I've gotten around to field testing the cut down Mag 10 and love it! I didn't get to test it's capability with a large fish but it was faultless landing a few small fish and a couple of red throat sweetlip around 40cm (16")

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

There is nothing like field testing, from looking at the pics, that would make sense to bring it closer to the rod.
Keep up your excellent work Mike.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Thanks for taking us along Mike, a few learning curves along the way, it came up great, the sweet lips are quite good eating, did you get many of them, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat