My 3/4 day report 9/18/2017 Morro Bay Landing

Started by pjstevko, September 19, 2017, 03:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I really needed to get out on the water to decompress and relief some stress from some personnel things going on in my life. I made the last minute decision to make a cannonball run to Morro Bay yesterday for a 3/4 day trip for some oceanic and fish-ical therapy.....
My trip started out a little rocky when the Denny's I stopped at was out of coffee due to broken coffee makers, how does a Denny's not have coffee at 3 am! The rest of the ride down was uneventful and I arrived a few minutes early for check in. The weather was forecasted to be great and 4 people were no shows so the boat left with a light load of 22 people and only 4 rental rods.... I liked those numbers, plenty of room for everyone to have a little extra room to move around.
We pushed off the dock right at 7 am and where at the fishing grounds by 8:30 am and our was game on right from the start.... First drop resulted in a nice sized lingcod weighting in right around 10#! After I put the First lingcod in my bag it must have been lingcod after lingcod for the next 40 minutes. It was great to have my Lingcod limit within the first hour of our trip. After I had my two fish limit and upgraded to bigger lingcod I started to give away lingcod. The boat moved to several other fishing spots and people were picking up nice size red Rockfish at various times throughout the day. I was in the running for the jackpot lingcod until about the last hour when a guy up front landed a solid 15 to 16 lb lingcod. The fishing was so good everyone had their limits by just after lunch so the boat headed towards the dock a little early. Overall it was an amazing day on the water with great fishing dolphins whales sea lions and of course the ever-present sea otters by Morro Rock.
On my ride home driving through Paso Robles I encountered a very small wild fire on the side of the highway. I pulled over to assist two other pedestrians to help put out the fire. I guess even though technically it was my day off once you're a firefighter you never truly have a day off!
Hopefully I will get a chance to fish with some of you soon before the season ends!
Pj

pjstevko

More pics

pjstevko

More pics

pjstevko

Final pics

thorhammer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Good day, PJ --

Nice fish, and you were in the right place to put out the fire.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

PJ,

excellent report and one question for you!

Did you use your BRAND NEW 501 on this trip???

PHOTOS please.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

josa1

Nice day, nice fishin', nice fish, and a great report and pictures!

Thanks for posting it up for us folks that are only wishing we could go fishing.

josa1

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Which boat were you on PJ?  Congratulations on those limits of high grade fish, and thanks for the great report and beautiful photos!

Dominick

PJ good job fishing and firefighting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn