From One Extreme to Another

Started by The Great Maudu, September 20, 2017, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I have dabeled a bit with fly fishing here and there.  Mostly fishing, with a little catching.  I fished some lakes with popers, and nymphs for Largemouth, and panfish.  I fished steelhead with wet nymphs, and egg sac imitations along the North Shore of Lake Superior in college, but when the fish were really running, I switched to the spinner, on a long steelhead rod to improve the action.  I also fished some of the upper streams for Brookies, and Rainbows, but again I did better with an ultralight spinner and spinners/spoons.  I caught a few Mahi, hardtails, and Bonito on my fly rod with streamers from a boat in the gulf (almost landed a line class world record Mahi).  I mated in Mexico in a multiday Sailfish fly fishing tournament.  Really interesting approach, teasing the fish right up to the back of the boat, then shooting a large streamer straight back, when pulling the bait n switch.  More recently (the last few years), I messed around with sightfishing the flats for bonefish here in HI, and caught a few Papio, and Oama.  The flats fishing for bonefish is probably the tiniest of the bunch, but also has been one of the most challenging.  Basically, I have only dabbled a bit in fly fishing, and never really grew proficient at it.  It really doesn't suit my typical run and gun and cover a lot of ground approach.  It is much more laid back, finesse approach to the game.  I guess I have always liked the idea of fly fishing more then the actual game. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 26, 2017, 12:04:11 AM
Quote from: Gfish on September 25, 2017, 08:44:07 PM
How's yer casting technique "Great Maudu", takes most people lotsa practice. I equate it toa golf swing: lota body control and timing.
This sounds like a  technically difficult fishery, so don't get discouraged if you don't succeed, especially immediately. The fun will be be in the learning. Lotsa observing others, asking questions. Onea my beginning flyfishing techniques was to cater a bit to the ego of the people that I saw succeeding. You know, the guys that hook up, then look around to see who's watchin 'em. Ask 'em questions spiced with admiration, 'bout how they did it.
One thing about "educated" trout, they'll refuse alota presentations that aren't perfect, esp. if everyone's been throwin the same stuff at 'em for a while. Sometimes then a novice, like me, shows up does something slightly(mistakenly)diffrent than everyone else and "YES"! "I hooked up, everyone watch me now"! No better feeling for someone like me.
Gfish

If I may, I find your writing style unreadable. Too bad because I think your comments when you write normally are astute.

whether difficult to read or not, i very much enjoy the reports!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 26, 2017, 12:04:11 AM
Quote from: Gfish on September 25, 2017, 08:44:07 PM
How's yer casting technique "Great Maudu", takes most people lotsa practice. I equate it toa golf swing: lota body control and timing.
This sounds like a  technically difficult fishery, so don't get discouraged if you don't succeed, especially immediately. The fun will be be in the learning. Lotsa observing others, asking questions. Onea my beginning flyfishing techniques was to cater a bit to the ego of the people that I saw succeeding. You know, the guys that hook up, then look around to see who's watchin 'em. Ask 'em questions spiced with admiration, 'bout how they did it.
One thing about "educated" trout, they'll refuse alota presentations that aren't perfect, esp. if everyone's been throwin the same stuff at 'em for a while. Sometimes then a novice, like me, shows up does something slightly(mistakenly)diffrent than everyone else and "YES"! "I hooked up, everyone watch me now"! No better feeling for someone like me.
Gfish

If I may, I find your writing style unreadable. Too bad because I think your comments when you write normally are astute.

Yes hoss you may! Ok,... Grammer's my own style, mostly it's how I talk, sometimes I do like my ESL wife and make up my own words, but ah, I 'm really concerned about my spelling and syntax? - NOT!
If it's "unreadable" and "too bad"...then...guess what?...
I'll be writin like this here in the future, 'cause this'er style's MINE!
Live long and prosper, Randy

P.S. Didn't see Allen's post, 'till I finished and posted this'n here.
P.S.2: Hope that wasn't too obnoxious, hada bad day at work today, but only got real obnoxious with the bosses once in retaliation. Then(surprise!) they were extra nice thereafter. The only thing they didn't chastise me for, before that, was the way I talk! Ah yes, the older I get...
Gfish
P.S.3: Randy, you need a couple of commas in your last sentence.  KIDDING!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rancanfish

Ha! I've been accused of using too many.

Literary Ebonics all your own.  Carry on,,,,,,,,.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

oc1

I had an English teacher in school who said "write like you talk".  One wise guy wrote his next paper in Tex-Mex Spanish but the lady let him get away with it.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Here is one of the outfits I'll be packing. The Reel is stamped S. Allcocks  Reddington. It's solid brass and made late 1800's early 1900's. One thing I've learned is it's good to use a reel that's a little heavier to balance the extra weight of the bamboo. I put the quarter in the pic to give you a sense of the tiny scale these things are. It's probab one of the reasons many bamboo rods come with 2 tips, lol.

Decker

I learned to tie flys in Boy Scouts long before I could fish them.  I really enjoyed building up the bodies with various hair, feathers, beeswax, and silk thread.   A few years after learning to tie, I got into fishing them.  By far, my most effective fly was a tiny hook with yellow string wrapped tightly around it in a ball, fished on opening day.  What made it effective was that it resembled the food that those hatchery trout were accustomed to eating.  I called it the "corn fly."   ;D

I read lots of books about insect life in streams, and how to fish insect imitations in various life stages, but most of my action was in the armchair.   It is fascinating stuff if you can manage to find a clean, cool stream.  

Saltwater flies can be very effective, and I'd like to give that a try sometime.

humboldtdan

I grew up fishing streams in Michigan, including the Au Sable.  You shouldn't have to do much distance casting-mending your line to have the most natural presentation is key.  The big browns will be finicky, especially there where they see a lot of fishermen.  In those cases, I usually went to the extremes-either tiny finesse flies to match the hatch or something big and juicy looking they couldn't resist.  The standard patterns never worked well for me in the heavily fished streams.  Good luck! 

Tiddlerbasher

The reel you have is a S Allcocks, Redditch, England - A crank wind model.
You may find this page a good read:

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/VintageRods_AllcocksTheCompany.asp

The Great Maudu

Thank you sir for that link. I will definitely read it. I have another all brass Reel and neither have that darkened patina you would expect. Do you think they were cleaned at some point? I've had them a few years and they're still shiny.

The Great Maudu

Chris I read the article and it is fascinating. It gives me a whole new perspective on the Allcock brand. Is their any specific info on my Reel?

Tiddlerbasher

I'll keep looking, but I haven't found anything yet. There are several on ebay as I write - most have been polished - originally they may have been blued :-\
No info on the date , I think the crank wind were made over a few decades.

Benni3

I just got in to fly fishing ,,,if there's one around you there's a orvis 101 class it's free it helps and it's funny,,,  the guy said there's stripers in the lake that go up to 15lbs  ;D lol

oc1

That's a beautiful rod and reel Mike.  Is that rattan on the fore grip?
-steve

The Great Maudu

Steve, that is a rattan handle. Very grippy and durable.
I don't believe the Reel has been affected in any way. There are no polishing mark or residual coloring around the rivets. How do you blue brass?