From One Extreme to Another

Started by The Great Maudu, September 20, 2017, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

The same as you would steel. I just use ordinary gun blue/black chemicals.

oc1

The cheap cold bluing you can buy off the shelf does not work very well on gun steel, but puts a nice finish on brass and german silver.  It makes a shiny surface look antiqued.  In you case, it really is antique but the bluing will make it look its age.  Degrease the area with naphtha or other solvent and paint it on.  Don't freak out because it will turn black immediately.  Then wipe with fine steel wool until you get the desired effect.  The longer you wait and less you wipe the darker it will be.

Gun smiths say that cold bluing does not provide much corrosion resistance.  But, I would rather the first thing to hit raw shiny brass be bluing instead of saltwater.  Patina is protection.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve - I'm not sure about the protection aspect - but it does make it look 'period' :-\ imho - chris

oc1

I'm not sure about the protection aspect either Chris, but hope to find out.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Since we're talking extremes, here's an all brass, aluminum and german silver Reel that is brand new. Made by a local craftsman it is number 4 in a series of only five made. This outfit is making the journey north as well.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

"Warning" some fly fisherman are very difficult to get alone with,,,,just letting you know,,I want you to have a good time  ;D

Rivverrat

Cold blue bought off the shelf does not provide much surface protection. But is fine if you like the look & care for it.... Jeff

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Benni3 on October 02, 2017, 03:00:48 AM
"Warning" some fly fisherman are very difficult to get alone with,,,,just letting you know,,I want you to have a good time  ;D

Thanks for the warning Benni. I'll be on my guard. I wonder what it is about fly fisherman that would make them like that?
As to the bluing of brass, I think I'll just leave it alone. I'm not doing any saltwater fishing with the little reels so I'm not worried about that. I kinda like the bright look. What application makes brass bright?

Rivverrat

Many products for shining up brass. Flitz & Brasso are 2 that Ive used & are generally safe & well accepted... Jeff

http://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste-1lb-jar/

https://www.amazon.com/Brasso-76523-Multi-Purpose-Metal-Polish/dp/B00BILDIU4

David Hall

I started fly fishing in the early 70's I happened to live near a spectacular fly fishing only lake.  It was some of the most memorable fishing I have ever done.  I keep a 12wt on my boat at all times when I'm tuna fishing with the sole purpose of casting a fly into a school of albacore.  In the past eight years I have had opportunity to make one cast into a top feeding school, unfortunately in my excitement to cast I didn't wait for my boat to come to a complete stop and I ran over my line cutting it off.  By the time I tied a new fly on the fish were gone.  But It will be ready next time I get a chance and hopefully I will be a little more patient.  I'm no purist and have only a few fly fishing friends and none of them is a purist either.  I can't stand those "people" who think fly fishing is the only true fishing method.  I like whatever works!

Gfish

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 03, 2017, 07:43:28 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on October 02, 2017, 03:00:48 AM
"Warning" some fly fisherman are very difficult to get alone with,,,,just letting you know,,I want you to have a good time  ;D

Thanks for the warning Benni. I'll be on my guard. I wonder what it is about fly fisherman that would make them like that?
As to the bluing of brass, I think I'll just leave it alone. I'm not doing any saltwater fishing with the little reels so I'm not worried about that. I kinda like the bright look. What application makes brass bright?

'Cause, we're morally superior to all other non-purist, non-flyfisherman. We're better 'cause we purposefully make our type of fishing harder to succeed at, thus enjoying the difficult-to-overcome challange. We're better educated, make more money, and live in a higher socio-ecnomic class than other fisherman. Yes, compared to 'them", we are discriminating individuals that have class.
Also, don't try posing, 'cause there's always something about your lower class status that'll give away what you really are.

Just messin with you dude!

Last time I's at onea "those places"(Silver Creek, Idaho) onea "those" guy's was askin me about what was hatching earlier. When I mentioned blue-winged olives, size 16, I noticed he's lookin closely at my rod/reel/vest/waders and then he corrected me:"Do you mean Batis?"( the genus for those bugs), pronouncing every syllable in that exacting, irritating - I'm better than you -way. Just stared at 'em for a second, smiled and walked away shakin my head.

If I sound bitter, probably not as much as you think, people like that are actually pretty comical.
Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Ya "trout unlimited " I had 4 of there members come up to me and make fun of my cheap saltwater gear that I was using,,,so that's why you see me using  a torque 5,,, trout fishing  :D but some of the fly fisherman are the best people you could meet ;D

Gfish

Fishing in the aptly named "Holy Water"(really, looked up the regs, indeed they stated: barbless single hook flies, cast with a flyline only, i.e. No mono. line from a spinning reel with a bobber, etc. Indeed, holy and sanctified from the "regular" fisherman). I saw a license plate "HAWK LAW" on the lone other fisherman's vehicle. Turns out he was the appointed attorney to defend California migrant farm worker, turned serial killing mass murder: Jaun Corona, from back in the 70's. Fasinating stuff, and without the attitude or the legalese talk(as in: I'm the professional, too bad if you can't understand it, layman). Just two flyfishers talkin story.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jim Fujitani

And having been a fly-fisher at one time:

Heaven Forbid: if you use anything as heavy as a 5-wt; never touch anything but a single action; never fish with anything weighted (dry fly only); only use a double taper floating line; and are astonished at the term (let alone know what it is), "double haul".