From One Extreme to Another

Started by The Great Maudu, September 20, 2017, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I love these "Fly Fisherman" charactizations. I am getting some good pointers though. I guess I should leave my foam grip, fiberglass rod with the Southbend automatic fly Reel spooled with straight mono at home?

Crow

And don't mention that your favorite presentation is the "garden hackle" (earthworm)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 05, 2017, 08:36:55 PM
I love these "Fly Fisherman" charactizations. I am getting some good pointers though. I guess I should leave my foam grip, fiberglass rod with the Southbend automatic fly Reel spooled with straight mono at home?
but if you really want to have a lot of fun  :D grab a really big penn spinn reel and some big lures that work great on trout,,,take the last hook off the rapala and put a gamakatsu on it,,,,light drag just enough to set the hook and when you hook a 4or 6lb trout the drag well scare the the fly fisherman and thay will get mad and run away  ;D lol it really does work

festus

My fly fishing was limited to my teenage years, used an 8-1/2' Goldenrod South Bend rod with a vintage Pflueger Progress reel that l still have.  Still got the reel but broke the rod on a rainbow trout.  Mostly fished small panfish poppers for freshwater bream and largemouth bass in ponds.

l still fly fish with a spinning rod, however, much simpler, lol.

The Great Maudu

The Great Maudu

Since this thread is titled Extreme here's my third fly outfit I'll be taking. The rod is a 6'6" LL Bean 4 pc pack rod. The reel is made by Abel. I'm going from bamboo and 100+ year old brass Reel to this.

Benni3

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 07, 2017, 12:21:01 AM
Since this thread is titled Extreme here's my third fly outfit I'll be taking. The rod is a 6'6" LL Bean 4 pc pack rod. The reel is made by Abel. I'm going from bamboo and 100+ year old brass Reel to this.
that Abel reel is very nice  :D

sdlehr

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 03, 2017, 11:28:05 PM
Many products for shining up brass. Flitz & Brasso are 2 that Ive used & are generally safe & well accepted... Jeff

http://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste-1lb-jar/

https://www.amazon.com/Brasso-76523-Multi-Purpose-Metal-Polish/dp/B00BILDIU4
Flitz is OK. Brasso, because of its abrasiveness, is not recommended.... the idea being that after years of using an abrasive polish you will eventually lose enough brass for shallow engravings and stampings to disappear and also lose other fine detail present in some more ornate reels.... which is something to be thinking about when you're dealing with something that can last centuries if properly cared for....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Great Maudu

Thanks for the input Sid. I think I'm just going to let them Age and acquire patina.

The Great Maudu

Well, I got in one day of fishing. Early we waded, casting dry flys size 22 I believe. I caught one brookie. They told it was a nice one. Then we we boarded the Hyde Drift Boat and nymphed our way down the river. Fishing was slow but I had a great time. I'm going to be doing more of this in the future.

happyhooker

Glad you're having a good time.  Interesting country.

Frank

bhale1

Mike,
I hear ya!! Most of my serious fishing early on was on the San Juan river in Northern New Mexico...
Learned how to tie flies and use my Sage rods to catch fish on something I created...still amazed today how many big rainbows and browns I could land on a "little" rod and 7x tippet if you just learned how to play them and set the drag propperly! Pulled all the fly tying stuff out last year and had my daughter's tie their own flies for our trout fishing "daddy/daughter's"trip...what a blast... couldn't have been prouder, and gave them a sense of accomplishment!!
Of course now,  they want to go after 1/2 day Calicos with their Papa's "Sal- in- ized" 155 Beachmasters...lol...but that's okay too, cuz I get to go with them😁

Brett

Benni3

Congratulations  ;D and that fishing trip looks like adventure