Areel service so nasty I almost just chucked it...

Started by thorhammer, September 20, 2017, 01:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Somewhere around 1999 Abu introduced the forward-thinking Eon series, with some slick bearings, a large round drag knob, cast control in end of sleeve you could actually reach, and a rubberized armor over graphite that is really grippy. If I recall it was best new reel of the year for some such voting forum. I had three of the 5000 size already from years back, and found this 6000 size with new braid recently at a pawn shop on a St Croix premier 7' rod for $20. I already had the mate to the rod, so sure I pulled that trigger. The reel was very dirty and I thought possibly the rubber was actually stained, but had it coming clean with a little degreaser and scotch brite pad. I delined it and the stand was just a mess even though freespool was still great, much less for a reel this nasty. I saw a few what looked like bug parts in the level wind, maybe par for the course for a reel stored out in a shed for a long period of time. I was NOT prepared for what I found when I opened the tail plate....the pieces of about ten baby roaches!!!!!!!!!!!! How do eggs even get in there; its a lug and rubber seal????? I was revolted and alomost tossed it, but instead chucked the whole mess in the simple green solution for a week, chips fall where they may....except the aluminum spool; SG and Al don't play well together. Bearings got Corrosion X, rest os reel got full rinse and Penn cleaner wipe down, and the free spool is even better.

MarkT

Wow, it really cleaned up nice.  It doesn't even look like the same reel.  I've seen computers with lots of dead roaches and caked grease in them too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Yeah, computers and other electronics can have nasty stuff in them.  As stated, reel actually worked great pre-clean...maybe TS-321 comes from roaches, lol. Mixed reviews on SOL but I'll use for throwing heavier poppers or drifting live bait for schoolie stripers with 17lb mono, where it will shine. I also discovered it has aluminum chassis. I'd have  paid twenty for the rod anyway, so it's a free reel in my book lol.

foakes

Great job, John --

Could be that ABU is Swedish for "Fishing Reel that comes with built in bait storage".

Excellent work, Sir...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

A friend of mine has one of those reels that has had little use, and all in freshwater, that I have been trying to buy to "just have" and to take apart to see what is inside.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Clearly an ice fishing bait storage container, LOL!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

gstours

Thanks for talking the time to show us the babys!   Thats the worst story ive seen so far.  It cleaned up nice ....   

Bryan Young

NASTY!!!  It cleaned up very well though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Like most of us -- I have opened a few reels with spider eggs inside.

However, it is said that cockroaches will be one of the few species to survive a nuclear holocaust -- looked like the reel was no match for them though.

Love SG and and a US cleaner.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Roaches are everywhere.  When I lived in NY the roaches were generous enough to let us live in their apartments.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

That's awesome! That thing sure cleaned up nice.  :D Good find!

Mike

FatTuna

That's really nasty. I once bought a Saragosa 25k from a Shimano show. They were the salesman sample reels. Never fished but used to show off new products, etc.

I opened it up and found some bizarre looking Asian beetles.

thorhammer

reelrepair123

excellent  job  john,  sure don't look like the same reel.     harryk

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat