A couple questions about an Abu 5500 HCL

Started by festus, September 20, 2017, 11:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I got a real deal on this Abu 5500 HCL a few weeks ago.  Paid 8 bucks for this reel, also bought a bunch of old Mitchell 300s for 3 bucks apiece, along with a couple of old Shimano Bantams and D.A.M. Quicks for 8 bucks apiece   

I'd never heard of this reel before, it has a decal WAL-MART FLW Tour.

6.3:1 gear ratio, looks like it has bearings instead of bushings. What is the difference between this reel and the Abu 5500C3?

The number on the bottom of the reel foot is: 080008.  Any idea how old this reel could be?  It looks like it has never been spooled before or ever used, very good condition but not perfect. I didn't get a box, it was just loose in a bunch of assorted reels at a yard sale.

festus

It's doubtful I'll use this reel anytime soon because I have about a dozen more round Abus.

I have heard that a clicker can be added to non-clicker Abus. Has anyone ever attempted this?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mooki

Can't say I'm familiar with that model, but date wise it looks like it was designed and manufactured in 1998.
My guess is that's it's a regular 5500C3, perhaps with a few minor parts plastic instead of metal.
Custom made for Wal-mart FLW tour apparently, also saw some reference to it being internally similar to the UC reels, but your pictures look more like a regular C3 to me.

Regarding clickers, there are 2 different "types".
One is the "always on / always off" type, where the easiest mod is changing the whole side plate to include clicker.
The second type is termed click spring, basically only clicks when line is being pulled out against the brake.
This feature requires changing the whole brake stack, and the downside is you get less braking power due to fewer disks.
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

Robert Janssen

Quote from: alantani on September 20, 2017, 11:49:02 PM
we need our abu expert, KenD back.  :-\

Yes, we do. That would be good.
I was concerned about him a while back, and eventually got ahold of someone up there in Smithers who let me know that he is doing okay, but the result of a stroke left him with difficulty in using screens and keyboards., and that is why we don't hear from him anymore. I was given a phone number too, but haven't used it.

exp2000

festus

Quote from: exp2000 on September 22, 2017, 05:12:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Abu-Garcia-Ambassaduer-Reel-Terminologies-/10000000012748521/g.html

"HCL = The H stands for High-speed, the CL for ball bearings and level wind"
~

Thanks for the link, it really helps to understand the meanings of these abbreviations.