what to check for when buying used reels?

Started by jzman, September 21, 2017, 05:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzman

Like buying a used car is there a list of things inspect before buying?  If I'm buying in person, besides the general condition of the reel, I just crank the handle a couple of times and check the drag.  Online, I try to just make sure the frame isn't damaged.

FatTuna

I've bought a ton of used reels over the last few years. This is my two cents.

If it's expensive, figure out what model it is. Do a little research. Find out if you can buy parts from the manufacturer.  A lot of older ones might be missing certain parts. You can try Ebay or on here for used parts if you are hard up.

Figure out if it's a popular model that you can sell if you don't like it.

Next, do a price index on Ebay or using CamelCamelCamel. On Ebay, you can use the sold listings tab. Current listings are irrelevant because people ask crazy prices sometimes. Find out what new and used ones are going for. See what the rock bottom prices were to know if it's a good deal.

When you meet to look at it. Look for obvious issues. Gear wear, worn/lose clicker, corrosion, bent/warped pieces, handle play, missing pieces, tight drag, resistance when turning the handle, loud bearings, not going in and out of gear, etc. If it looks questionable, pass. There are a ton of other ones out there. If it looks good but might need some parts, politely explain what you think it needs and how much it will cost. I'd only buy it if it's relativity cheap.  There are always things you overlook. If it looks really clean, buy it.

Try to look for larger lots of stuff. You will get it much cheaper. Even if you only want one or two things, you can sell everything else online.

Ebay is good too because you get buyer protection. You can always return something on there provided it wasn't as advertised. Good for cheaper items because you don't have to drive. Ebay is good for everything though. Personally, I prefer to look at something in person. Especially when it's an expensive model. I try to look for stuff that is really local because it takes too much time to drive. I'd rather pay more and have someone drive to me than sit in traffic.

oc1

If shopping from photos, I look first at the fit between the spool and the frame.  If the gap is not consistent all the way around then the frame could be twisted.  Look at the screw heads for some sense of how much anguish previous owners have gone through.  A reel that looks like it was neglected is often better than one that looks like it was used and serviced often.  I don't worry too much about cosmetics.  If you know you are serious about the reel then get several.  Each one will teach you something about the reel in general and the strengths and weaknesses of the other(s).  It's a crap shoot. 

All this pertains to user reels only.  Shopping for shelf reels is a different exercise.
-steve

philaroman

if you intend to use the original felt drag washers in a spinner, make sure they are not crushed

Cortez_Conversions

Like Fat Tuna said, I always look at the screw/bolt heads.

It tells a lot about the quality of service and/or level of skill the reel has seen. If the heads are all beat up, stripped , or have vise grip marks, be assured you are going to be making repairs on the inside of that reel.
On the other side of the coin, if the screws show no indication of ever being undone, you have to wonder what sorts of fun has been living in there for who knows how long...

It's always a combination of overall condition and feel that helps you make a decision.

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Gfish

Relative to obvious issues that others have mentioned, whatsa price? Cheap, compared to better condition ones,means if I buy it,  I get to have some fun/learning experience, fixin her up. It's just gotta be a popular model & brand sos I can get parts.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!