Coming to terms with my addiction

Started by jackpine, September 22, 2017, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: David Hall on October 27, 2017, 04:36:07 PM
I wasnt going to buy anything!  a friend called and said, you gotta get over here!  somebody just bought an estate sale from a family, theres thousands maybe millions of dollars worth of gear here for pennies on the dollar.  I went! nearly had a coronary when I saw everything.  I was alone with hundreds of rods, hundreds of reels, hundreds of boxes filled with gear, much of it still in its original packaging. at least a dozen long range boxes filled to capacity.  my head started spinning, I was speechless, trying to regain control of my senses, the seller was putting tape on a large box, I said what you got there?  oh just a box of Newells going to some guy up in Oregon.  I didnt even get to see them? I picked out a dozen small salmon flashers, still in original packaging, a few dozen barbless hooks, a bunch of rock fishing gear, bags full of plastic grub bodies, lead heads, 2lb balls an okuma LC reel never used.  a 3000 yd spool of 40# Ande, a 3000 yd spool of 80# JB, about 6 more spools of line and a bunch of more stuff I cant remember, my head was still swimming.  There were boxes everywhere and I didnt know where to start.  I wanted to move in with the guy, I need days to look through this stuff.  I said heres my pile, how much?  yadda yadda hm hm, how about 140 bucks?  DONE! I gotta get outta here, I can always come back.  Truth is Im afraid to go back, I never even got to the rods. 

And I was waiting for the punchline.....  And then my alarm clock woke me up!!!

But no, you found a unicorn!!  And you exercised a modicum of moderation, but you didn't even look at all of the rods and reels!?!?!?!

David Hall

I was afraid I would spend my mortgage payment if I looked through the rods.

thorhammer

surfers

David Hall

Obviously your addiction is under control, you only buy stuff if you have a nice place to store it!
Or do you make nice storage space, and then go find something to put there?

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on October 31, 2017, 11:10:43 PM
...there's another hundo at the cabin....about 130 rod blanks scattered...

now this scared me a lot !!  happy halloween

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Nice brother John. ;)
People like me and you have a passion, Its not an addiction.
I wish I had that space to spread out my rods and reels.
Very Nice my man.
Life is Good!

Jim Dempsey

Quote from: thorhammer on October 31, 2017, 10:33:30 PM
hm. I haven't come to terms, it seems....maybe half the surf rods and a third or so of the casting / trolling stuff.

Wow! Sometimes, there are no words.

Jim Dempsey

I relapsed... I bought another Morrum M7700C on fleabay for an exorbitant amount. Bidding on another. Looks like no car payment this month. A straight jacket awaits me.

David Hall

Ever since I saw Sals Cabinet I been Jonesin for a nice display / storage cabinet for myself.  I think this winter it's time I build something!

Jim Dempsey

My house isn't that big! Not sure if I could even show a Spiderman / Cinderella combo, now. Mine are all piled in their perspective corners. My aquarium fish are nervous.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on October 31, 2017, 10:33:30 PM
hm. I haven't come to terms, it seems....maybe half the surf rods and a third or so of the casting / trolling stuff.
So many wall flowers, so few get to dance. It's a cryin shame :'(

ez2cdave

When I lived in South FL ( 15 minutes from the Ocean ), I acquired over 200 outfits in about a 35 year span. Just before moving to NC in 2006, I sold off about 80% of them, at my wife's "urging" ( a very painful experience ).

Since living in NC ( 180 miles from the coast ) I don't get to go fishing very often and I absolutely HATE Freshwater fishing, for some reason. Maybe I have "saltwater in my blood" . . . LOL ! 

Anyway, these are a couple of pics from 8 or 10 years ago, plus a couple of "fun pics". My collection has grown some, but it's nowhere near its former "glory" ( I am hunting for a pic of everything in FL ).

Tight Lines !

Decker

Seeing all those 8-n-bait conventional sticks gets me going, and makes me long for the surfcasting motherland of Hatteras!!

thorhammer

That's where they go.  ;D Too rarely, it seems...

That's where the 980 and 525 Mag shine brightest. The SS's are for nights with a lot of wind. If you look at mine closely, I think second from left, you will see a vintage Harnell rootbeer blank wrapped in orange to match the burgundy Squidder with amber handle...my favorite ole-skool.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on November 01, 2017, 01:52:11 PM
That's where the 980 and 525 Mag shine brightest. The SS's are for nights with a lot of wind. If you look at mine closely, I think second from left, you will see a vintage Harnell rootbeer blank wrapped in orange to match the burgundy Squidder with amber handle...my favorite ole-skool.

Is the 980 better than the 970 for surf chunking?  I have both but need to fix up the 980.  I've heard that the wider spools are better for casting, but everyone seems to go narrow these days.    Have you tried the SQL15?  Does it compare well to a slosh?  (I should probably start another thread.)