Coming to terms with my addiction

Started by jackpine, September 22, 2017, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: wfjord on September 23, 2017, 12:34:09 AM
My sickness has gotten much worse since discovering this website. Probably terminal.
Consider yourself lucky, you could have been in a pub drinking away your money. Now you have a bunch of reels that probably will never use :) .

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

I have no solution for you, but then again looking for a solution here is like asking the fox to guard the hen house.  ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

wfjord

The only solution is more reels...

but it probably wouldn't hurt to limit my ebay watch list to just one page.

Jim Dempsey

On a more positive note; I find that it's NOT an addiction. There are those among us in society that see a precision instrument and wonder to ourselves: "I wonder if I could make that even better?" By education; I'm an RF EE, (also a Forensic Pathologist); I like to work on radios. Ditto handguns. Now; fishing equipment. Think Motorola, Sig Sauer, Abu Garcia...

So far, I've succeeded beyond my expectations on the prior. Now; I'm learning the fishing rear. Buckle your seatbelts. I HAVE become addicted to fishing! If I don't make it 4-5 evenings / days a week; it's because of the weather, or I'm overseas.

Welcome to the board. There is much knowledge to be gained here.

Enjoy!

happyhooker

Quote from: wfjord on September 23, 2017, 12:34:09 AM
My sickness has gotten much worse since discovering this website. Probably terminal.

Yeah, we're all a bunch of enablers on the AT site.

Frank

broadway

Wforjd,  The answer is to go to the bottom of your watch list and click on the "100" where it says items per page... and voila you only have one page so your addiction appears better. ;)
Though I do sometimes have more than 100.
Happy hunting,
Dom

David Hall

wfjord

I did force myself not to bid on a reel tonight --a credit to my self control, especially since a cleaner one just like it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow according to the USPS package tracking site.

Does anyone else experience the racing heartbeat, palpitations and adrenaline rush in the final seven seconds of a bidding battle?  Some people go to Yosemite and free-climb Half Dome just to get that effect.

Quote from: David Hall on October 19, 2017, 02:10:31 AM
Rehab is for Quitters!

Yes, but we're not in rehab, we're in denial.

Jim Dempsey

I suffer the same "problem" forcing myself to NOT bid on classic or rare reels. Not having the money at the time seems to have no effect. I'm a big fan of the 10000CL's and 10000i's, but have 3 CL's that I've restored, and a 10000i that I pretty much had to rebuild from the ground up. I loved the experience, and am fascinated at the difference that I've seen. And; I'm no expert! Pretty much everything I've learned; I've learned here. So; if working on, restoring, or simply maintaining your equipment is your goal; you've come to the right site. If I don't watch it; I'm going to be rebuilding my reels outside, and living on the street. My home isn't as large as my appetite for fishing equipment! Do I need them? Nope. I live in west, central Texas. We've got no water! We just got water back in our lakes a year and a half ago after a 63 year drought. But; Corpus is only 6 hours away...

Decker

I definitely see the members of this site as enablers of my habit.   Before coming to AT.com, I just wanted an inexpensive reel to throw bait in the surf.   The 140 Squidder was my first taste.  Then I learned here about the Penn Mags.   When Sal tried to interest me in shiny upgrades, I said "No, I'm not that kind of guy." My only interest was in practical tackle for bringing home fish flesh.   When I saw some reasonably priced Newell bars and bases on eBay, I thought why not?   Later, reading AT, I began to appreciate the engineering aspects of the upgrades.  After some personal contact with the AT Jedis, Alan, Sal, Bryan, to name a few, I was hooked.   Now I'm fishing the eBay much more than the surf, stalking and baiting in every free moment from my smart phone.  The Internet fishing grounds are much more accessible than the Jersey coast.

My only reservaton at this point is to stay clear of "shelfies."    Any reel I own is going to be fished!.   Sure, I've come across some pretty reels, and have been tempted to exchange photos of them with members, but...  I have to stop somewhere. ::)  

happyhooker

Quote from: Jim Dempsey on October 19, 2017, 01:53:09 PM
If I don't watch it; I'm going to be rebuilding my reels outside, and living on the street.

Remember, Jim, you've got kids (they can only serve as collateral for so many reels).

Frank

Jim Dempsey

Happy;

They're the ones egging me on! To an extent... I guess I could cancel my saved searches on The Bay; but I look forward to waking up and seeing the email notification flashing on my phone. Run to the computer... Drooool! Occasionally; insanity prevails.

David Hall

theres no point in rationalizing this it is a never ending spiral into a pit filled with fishing reels.  I ran out of storage space long ago, I now have boxes stacked on top of boxes, stacked on top of bins, stacked on bins.
Truly I hate myself. In order to make myself feel better.

Guess what I did.

Decker

Quote from: happyhooker on October 20, 2017, 12:26:43 AM
Quote from: Jim Dempsey on October 19, 2017, 01:53:09 PM
If I don't watch it; I'm going to be rebuilding my reels outside, and living on the street.

Remember, Jim, you've got kids (they can only serve as collateral for so many reels).

Frank

I have a Penn 10 reel for one son and one of my three daughters... that's all I can justify at this point.  Once bought a reel for my wife and it went over like a lead balloon.   

Rancanfish

Busted!  ;D  C'mon Joe, don't copy me.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.