Penn 501 20lb rod suggestion

Started by Jkjhung, September 22, 2017, 04:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkjhung

Which rods would you recommend to pair with a 501? I have a bunch of setups in the 30lb range for fishing norcal waters, and I want to try out a 20lb. It's always more fun on lighter tackle right?
Right now I am considering a calstar 700L (which I'm afraid might fish more like a 25 than a 20), a calstar 196, and a calstar 270-8. I am also considering a phenix 807. What do you guys think?

Swami805

All of those would work it would come down to personal preference and what you'd use it for. For filylining  live bait the 196-8 would be nice. For rockfish in deeper water the 270-8 or a 270-8h to take a little more lure weight. A 700l or xl is a little different action but would give a little more power to lift fish. A 708 should work just fine as well. Best bet is if you can go pull on them to see what you like.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

It depends on how you will mostly use the rod. For deep drops and more bottom fishing I like a 7' stick and for flylinning live bait and cast artificial's I like a 8' rod.

Jkjhung

I suppose I'll be using the rod mostly for artificials.

Would a 270-8 be kind of an all-arounder? Can it be used for flylining?

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

You mentioned a composite rod the 700L, so if you don't mind spending more on these you may also want to look at a 800XL or a 800XLH. Like stated the 270-8 will work fine. One of my 20 lb rods is a 800LX, I love this setup and others like the 800XLH. I use a 800L for 25 lb and a 270H-8 for one of my 30 lb setups. The 270-8 and the 800L are pretty close in action and feel but I got a smoking hot deal on the Graghiter so I went that route.

Like someone else said if you can get to a tackle shop and pull on some rods and get the one that feels right for you.

Make no mistake about it I'm a Calstar guy, as you can probably tell, so others may have other manufactures to look at.

Edit: All of my 8' rods are deckhand style/no reel seat and this will also keep cost down.

Jkjhung

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 23, 2017, 04:24:30 AM
You mentioned a composite rod the 700L, so if you don't mind spending more on these you may also want to look at a 800XL or a 800XLH. Like stated the 270-8 will work fine. One of my 20 lb rods is a 800LX, I love this setup and others like the 800XLH. I use a 800L for 25 lb and a 270H-8 for one of my 30 lb setups. The 270-8 and the 800L are pretty close in action and feel but I got a smoking hot deal on the Graghiter so I went that route.

Like someone else said if you can get to a tackle shop and pull on some rods and get the one that feels right for you.

Make no mistake about it I'm a Calstar guy, as you can probably tell, so others may have other manufactures to look at.

Edit: All of my 8' rods are deckhand style/no reel seat and this will also keep cost down.

Thanks for your input. Would you say that the 270-8 fishes more like a 25# rod? I want a true 20# rod, or even a light 20# rod.

Here in the Bay Area my options for calstars are limited. The 196-7, 700L, and 270-8 were the only ones I mentioned because they are the only ones I could find near me. All used. The 700L is now out of the question, as I've learned that it is definitely a 25# and is pretty stiff.

broschro

Shimano tallus tlc-70m 14-25lbs. I use this on My jig master. It has a softer tip with plenty of backbone.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Jkjhung on September 23, 2017, 01:48:47 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 23, 2017, 04:24:30 AM

Thanks for your input. Would you say that the 270-8 fishes more like a 25# rod? I want a true 20# rod, or even a light 20# rod.

Here in the Bay Area my options for calstars are limited. The 196-7, 700L, and 270-8 were the only ones I mentioned because they are the only ones I could find near me. All used. The 700L is now out of the question, as I've learned that it is definitely a 25# and is pretty stiff.

For me yes, but many others fish a 270-8 for 20 lb. Personally I like the 800XL for 15-20 lb and the 800XLH more as a 20 lb setup. But, rod selection varies from person to person,so it's time to pull on some rods if you can.

JRD

Sorry I'm late to this party.  Here is what I pair my 501 and 506 to.  Seeker Stealth, 8 foot deck hand style,  STL 8020-8' CT.  It's rated 15-25 and fits that 20lb range great.  Lots a back bone and still parabolic at the tip.  Cool color too.

Rancanfish

JRD, is that a trigger grip?  What kind of guides are on it?  Cost?   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PacRat

It's a deckhand grip but you could use a trigger clamp on the reel.
Mike

JRD

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 07, 2017, 06:35:14 PM
JRD, is that a trigger grip?  What kind of guides are on it?  Cost?   ;D

Not sure the brand of guides but they are listed as stainless with ceramic inserts, the rods are now called the MGC series.  Retails about $170 I bought mine used, but pristine for $100.  As Mike said it's cork tape straight butt.

Jkjhung

Quote from: JRD on October 07, 2017, 06:12:12 PM
Sorry I'm late to this party.  Here is what I pair my 501 and 506 to.  Seeker Stealth, 8 foot deck hand style,  STL 8020-8' CT.  It's rated 15-25 and fits that 20lb range great.  Lots a back bone and still parabolic at the tip.  Cool color too.

Nice choice! Looks like you found a good deal on one used too. I was unable to find a good deal on a used rod so I went with a new calstar 270-8.

vilters

great choice, you will never be sorry for choosing a calstar, some of the best rods still. 270 is a perfect #20 lb. rod in my opinion.