Where do they go?????

Started by Noviceman, November 07, 2017, 12:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

One day after losing a spring from a reel I went into the bathroom to clean up.  While I was waiting for the water to come up warm I looked in the mirror and there was the spring stuck to my forearm with the blue grease holding it in place.  Made me laugh.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

FishDad

I normally work on freshwater baitcasters/spinners, so usually don't have these kind of issues, but have had issues with losing small springs/parts when cleaning/rinsing in the sink. After losing several pinion yoke springs, e-clips, bearing retainers, etc. down the drain while trying to clean/rinse  - shhhh, don't tell my wife - I had an idea that I tested with my wife's cooking equipment, but, alas, I got caught. So, I bought a couple plastic, hand held, wide mouth, fine mesh, deep cooking strainers at Wally World for a buck each. I put all the parts in the strainer, submerse in simple green to soak, clean with brushes if necessary with 'em still in the strainer & when ready to rinse, I rinse 'em in the strainer. I then dry 'em with hair dryer right in the strainer too. Works great & haven't lost a single part since starting doing 'em this way!

After thinking about your particular issue with flying springs, wonder if a fine mesh, deep butterfly catching net would work - cut the net off the hoop, put your hands in it & take the reel apart? I know you can get these type nets for not much more than a buck in kids sections in some stores (seen 'em in WW, TSC).

Dennis

Rivverrat

I've got  box of assorted springs some from models of reels I have. However I disasembled mine they have no missing springs. I also checked other reels I worked no peices missing on them either. So some how not figured it out yet but they seem to multiply. Now if I could get frames & gear sets to do the same... Jeff

bluefish69

Quote from: Dominick on November 08, 2017, 07:34:58 PM
One day after losing a spring from a reel I went into the bathroom to clean up.  While I was waiting for the water to come up warm I looked in the mirror and there was the spring stuck to my forearm with the blue grease holding it in place.  Made me laugh.  Dominick

I usually find the Spring caught in my Beard

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

David Hall

Even though these stories are all true they're just to funny to believe!  Except I too have several bins with nothing but extra springs?  I can tell you all that after 60 years of living and losing socks, I discovered where they go!