Main Menu

Newbie Intro

Started by Jim Dempsey, September 24, 2017, 06:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dempsey

Hi everyone,

I'm an older man with 2 young children. We started freshwater fishing about a year and a half ago. After a couple of months; I decided to drop the hammer and start purchasing some Abu Garcia gear. Started out with a Black Max 3 and a Vendetta rod. Since then; it's become a voracious addiction. I've watched many videos on tuning and maintain my gear to where I've started doing the work myself.

Obviously; I still have a lot to learn, but believe this is the best site with the most common sense information to avoid many of the pitfalls that I've read others having made.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and learning from you all.

Jim

Crow

Welcome !!   What part of the country are you fishing ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Glad you're in the group.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

Welcome.  Dominick San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

welcome!  the ambassadeurs are great reels to start with!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bhale1

Jim,
Welcome, and you found the right place!  Many here have the same addiction! Sorry, but your in good company!
Brett

Jim Dempsey

Quote from: Crow on September 24, 2017, 08:22:03 PM
  Welcome !!   What part of the country are you fishing ?

West Texas. About 50 miles west of Abilene. Not much water out here, but we're trying to make it count!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Jim --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jim Dempsey

Thanks, all. My Black Max 3 and Vendetta have now grown to 3 Black Max 3's, 3 Revo STX-SHS's, 3 MGXtreme's, 3 7000 CS Pro Rockets, 2 10000 CL's, and a 10000i. Rods include: 5 Vendettas, 3 Veritas, 3 Veritas Toros 40-60lb, 2 Veritas Toros 60-100lb, and 4 Villains. Oh; and a Japanese "World Monster" traveling 4 section rod. Totally cool. I've purchased an ultrasonic cleaner and maintain all that I have extremely well. The 10000's are in the process of being refurbed like new - although they were in decent shape when I bought them from Japan. Replacing the stock bearings with Boca's, and Carbontex drags on those and the 7000 series. Will begin working on my low profiles when I gain a little more confidence / experience. Yeah; and money!

Just placed a $120.00 + order with Southwestern. Had to go to E-Parts for a few discontinued items. Still looking for a few parts that are NLA for the 10000CL's, but am rolling snake eyes. Looking for 2 8948 drive shaft assemblies, and 2 9728 pressure washers for the drag system. I may being too anal in my detail, but I'd like to try to locate them if possible. I'd like these reels to look like new when I'm finished. I realize this is probably not the proper forum, but am just beginning to navigate the site.

Thanks again.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Welcome, Jim..... you're hooked well....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

joesan

Jim...looks like you have quite an arsenal down there in Texas. Welcome from Idaho
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

festus

A big welcome from East TN to Jim.  You have good taste in fishing tackle and have found the right place for advice.

Bryan Young

Welcome Jim.  Abus are great reels. I fish them even in the salt.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D