Main Menu

Newbie Intro

Started by Jim Dempsey, September 24, 2017, 06:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dempsey

Thank you all for the kind replies and encouragement. Make that 3 10000CL's now. Have opened an account with Boca, and established a very nice contact - Jeff Brooks - who noticed the sudden multiple purchases and gave me a call as well. Lot's of good info from him. Still much to learn, but I feel like I've gone to Heaven by joining this forum. Everyone has been so helpful - without condescension - on my lack of ability / knowledge.

Went to a local pawn shop Saturday and saw that they had some fishing gear. Lo and behold; there was a broken down, old Abu / Mitchell spinner in hideous condition. My first pat on the back from myself. I know it's not exactly a collectable, but I figured if I could fix that thing; I'd really done something. Sho' 'nuff; 3 hours later, and I'd stripped the 1040 reel down to rusty parts; cleaned what I could, lightly sanded and coated a few rusted spots, and reassembled it. It probably didn't work this good when it was new. Again, not much for bragging rights, but no schematic, and little experience - I am happy. The rod still needs a tip, but after cleaning; pretty decent condition.

I hope to return the favors of your knowledge before long.

Thanks again!

happyhooker

Way to go, Jim D.  What might have ended up in the trash ends up posing a challenge for an inquisitive mind & voila!

Some folks just like working with their hands & get satisfaction from the end result (like me).

Frank

Jim Dempsey

It reeked of age and personality. I'd have been happy just to have it as a piece of nostalgia, but had the "fix it" bug in less than 5 miles home. My 10 year old angel, Emma asked me if I'd leave it to her when I  take a nap in the horizontal phone booth. She said that she wanted something that reminded her of me because I could take anything old and broken and make it like new. A bit ambitious in her belief, but it sure choked me up. Pretty humble ambition, as well. A $10.00 rod and reel. Win.

happyhooker

Jim D., I'm reminded of 2 sayings: 1) From simple things come...; and 2) From the mouths of babes....

Frank

Jim Dempsey

I wish I had taken some before photos, as well as the disassembly, and care that went into bringing it back to life. No anti reverse. Fixed. No drag adjustment. Fixed. Bail nearly rusted to inability to articulate. Fixed. But; a few "after" photos. I have a vintage Fuji tip on order for $7.00. Spooled it with some #8 mono today.

Your thoughts?