Green Spinfisher Questions

Started by wfjord, September 25, 2017, 04:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

I've been shopping around a bit on feebay for something green for potential surf fishing... and I see quite a few immaculate looking Greenies out there--maybe a little too immaculate--and wondered how many of them might have been repainted. Is that a common thing that's done or is it a bad thing --or does it even matter?  Maybe I should ask, "Would it matter to you if you were looking for one?"

In some of the photos of the ones that do appear to be original, the paint seems to be a bit lighter and sometimes has a more metallic look to it. Some of those too-immaculate looking examples seem to have a deeper shade of green.  Is there any way to know if they are repaints.

foakes

The 700 & 706/707 are a darker non-metallic green.

The 704/705 is a lighter metallic green.

The parts on all of these reels is very durable.

In my experience, few are repaints -- most are original.

A repaint would not bother me, if it was a reel I was going to use, and not resell -- but it should be disclosed up front -- if known.

These are very high quality and capable reels for surf fishing, IMO.

I have worked on many, and have a good selection of NOS parts for these reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

They're often a little darker straight out of the box.  The paint will be oxidized and lighter on ones that were heavily used.  Sometimes you can see the ghost of chipped paint under a poor paint job.  Sometimes the color is a bit off on a repainted one.  There are probably some repaint jobs that are good enough that you can't tell from photos and would not know without looking inside.  The color of the white plastic handle and drag knob is also a clue.  If the plastic has yellowed but the paint looks fresh and shiny it may have been repainted.  All of mine have the original worn and chipped paint.  It's just cosmetic and doesn't hurt anything.  A new paint job is unlikely to hold up as long as the original paint unless you're a real paint guru and know how to properly prime and cure it.

They're tough reels with or without paint.  But, like anything, you can wear them out eventually.  The bail bumper (especially), bail release arm, bail arm and some of that stuff seems to go first because the bail snaps closes with a lot of force and a clunk.
-steve

Midway Tommy

I agree with the above comments. Nearly all of the green Penns I have come across have been original. In my experience, the repaints are seen in different color combos, not unlike that seen in the Mitchell lines the last couple of years. I collect so there is no way I would buy a repaint but if you're a user repaint shouldn't be a big stopper. Like Steve said, though, repaints won't wear as well unless they're powder coated or have a clear coat. Don't forget to check out the Zs unless you're wanting nostalgic "green". There's not a lot of difference in quality. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

This is just a box of some commonly used and needed parts for the larger 700 size old greenies.

The little red plastic boxes have 10 new parts -- which are the most commonly needed parts when these reels are used for surfcasting.

Tune up kits.

I don't really care if I hang on to these or offer them up to members -- because they are tough to find at any price -- and if not already so, some are not available for any price.

Will sell them to members for $10 a box.  They are New Old Stock.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Already sold (6) boxes to 4 members in the last hour -- however,  30+ left.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

Generous offer, Fred.

For me, unless a reel has significant value or will be a shelf queen, I have no objection to a good repaint.  If somebody is gonna take the time to make the inside as good as new, why not the outside?  A good lookin' reel on a rod makes me feel better too.

Frank

wfjord

Which of the green spinfishers had plastic spools and which had metal?

oc1

The 710 had plastic a spool.  At least some of the 712 had a plastic or fiberglass spool.  I could be wrong but think all the 700, 704 and 716 spools are metal.  In photos it is difficult to differentiate a green metal spool from a green plastic spool.  Chipped paint means it's metal.  If the reel is well used and the finish is oxidized, the plastic spool will be a different shade of green from the body and rotor.
-steve

handi2

There was also an all black 710 in between the green and black and gold. I had 2 at one time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wfjord

So they primarily used the plastic spools on the mid-sized green reels?  Are metal spools (other than the gold Z spools) available for those particular reels?

oc1

I don't think they made a metal spool for the 710 but could be wrong about that.  They made metal spools for the 712 and it is silver like the 716 spool. Plastic spools are green.  It would be hard to find a metal spool to replace a plastic spool unless Fred has one or someone is selling a parted-out reel on the auction site.
-steve

foakes

To my knowledge, only metal spools that fit the 710 are the golds for the 710Z.

They are available -- but around $35 as new.

Having said that, the green plastic or black plastic spools do work well.

They are a different, slightly pliable, very thick and robust plastic -- not what we are used to in the Cardinals, Quicks, Shimanos,  or others.

I am sure they will eventually break -- however, I cannot ever recall a broken one in 30+ years.

Braid would not do the plastic spools any good -- that is likely why Penn went to the metal in the Z.

All of the 700-707 reels have metal spools.

And like Steve said, the 712-722 all have metal spools.  Either silver or gold, depending on the model.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

wfjord

Thanks all, I really appreciate your help.

George6308

A company named CFI made rattle cans of green paint call Penn reel green that matched the green 710, 712, 714, & 716. CFI (Custom Finish Incorporated). A very close match for these reels is John Deere tractor green.
The later gold 710 spools will fit the green 710's and avoids problems with the fiberglass spools.
The green reels are the same as the later "Z's". The 700 was replaced by the 704 around 1968.