alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Green Spinfisher Questions
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 15, 2017, 12:03:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green Spinfisher Questions  (Read 1297 times)
wfjord

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »

Sounds good.  I'm looking forward to giving it a go.  I'm not worried about the bail arm moving --The bail spring tension alone feels like it would've been plenty to keep it in place (I just put in a new bail spring last night). I got an extra lock nut, too.
Thanks!  I appreciate your help very much, Steve.

Will PM you my mailing address.
wfjord

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »

Steve --got the kit you sent.  Looks good.  Haven't had a chance to install it yet---hope to this evening.
wfjord

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »

I installed the bailess modification kit on my green 714 --it looks good and it's very sturdy.

Cranked it around a few times and the entire reel wobbled badly. I worked with it a bit, put the bail release arm assembly back on the opposite side for additional weight and ended up with three steel washers behind the screw as counterweight (which also puts tension on the bail release arm and keeps it from clattering).  That eliminated the wobble and everything now cranks around nice and smoothly.

Haven't gotten the reel out on the water yet, but after playing around with it at home, one thing is obvious --the technique doesn't come natural to me and it's going to take me a while to get the hang of it.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:41:23 PM by wfjord » Logged
Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »

You might want to consider grinding the exposed threads smooth and to a taper behind the nylon locknut. Rough, sharp edges of threads can play hell on inadvertent mono contacts or snags.     

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »

Tommy's right.  I don't keep the dog engaged and turn the rotor backward to pick up the line on my finger.  If the rotor accidentally makes another complete backward revolution it will try to take the line back off your finger by catching it on the back side of the bail arm.  Your lock nut is much better then the two jammed hex nuts, but it is shorter so the protruding bit of screw needs to be filed off.
-steve
wfjord

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »

Thanks for pointing that out --I'll get rid that exposed screw end.
wfjord

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »

Thank you, Steve --for the kit and your help. Did you thread the inside of the brass sleeve yourself or buy it already threaded?  I'm thinking about trying to put together a kit for another reel.
And thanks, Tommy, also.  I cleaned up that screw end and the bail-less modification looks much better.

A 710 is scheduled to arrive in the next day or two.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:48:19 PM by wfjord » Logged
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »

I just took a piece of 1/8 inch brass tubing and ran a 4-48 tap through it.  If it had been drilled to fit over the machine screw there would not have been much wall left on the tubing.  The tubing is available for a couple of bucks per foot at many hardware and hobby stores.

-steve
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: