When do carbon washers need to be replaced, Maxel Ocean Max

Started by matawest, September 25, 2017, 05:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matawest

Hello!

I opened up my maxel ocean max 09 after 2 years of heavy usage (tuna fishing).  The surface of the carbon fiber washers is definitely showing wear.  Do they need to be replaced or just cleaned and greased?

Rancanfish

In my opinion, if they have hard glazed spots, you might be ready for a new set.

Welcome.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

matawest

There are definitely hard spots.. and the carbon fiber seems worn and smooth.. The whole reason i opened it up was the drag performance was significantly degraded.  Any idea where i can get replacement washers for maxel ocean max reels?? I am not having any luck.  I have gotten responses to make my own, but would rather just purchase them.. One less thing to do.

RowdyW

matawest

Yes, I did email Dawn.  She doesn't have washers made for the maxel ocean max reels.  I think they are the same size as the equivalent jigging master PE reels.. Does she have washers made for the jigging master reels?

RowdyW

You will have to ask her. Nobody on this forum can answer for her.

Bryan Young

Have you tried contacting Maxel directly?

If the drag washer are double sided but only use one side you may try flipping the drag washer.  I do this in Accurates.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wolli

yes, they are double sided. Clean and grease with Cal`s.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

alantani

before you order a new set, clean the old set with a clean rag, then slap on a thick coat of cal's grease, then wipe off the excess greases and reinstall these old drag washers.  i'll bet you'll find they actually work ok.  i've had some pretty funky drag washers that were cleaned and regreased and actually worked ok!  can't hurt to try......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

matawest

Good plan! I will flip them.  I contacted jigging world who contacted the USA distributor for maxel.  They told jigging world i need to call directly.  Going to follow up...