Newbie From Canada

Started by SPLBlazer, September 27, 2017, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPLBlazer

Hey everyone, stumbled upon this site while researching my next purchase.

I travel down south once a year to do some shark fishing. So far havnt had ALOT of luck. 1st year we went to myrtle beach, i caught 3 little guys off apache pier. Was super stoked and stayed up for 22h fishing with a local but necer got anything.

Last year we rented a beach house on pawleys island. The week before we went down the bite was on big time. The day we headed down a cold front came in and we ended up only catching an 11lb blue fish and a trout. We had one big run but the line popped on about 15lbs of drag. We were running 40lb braid on some spinning gear.

I currently have a 10' penn fierce 2 8000 rod and reel and a daiwa bg8000 on a 12ft xheavy tsunami rod.

Well becauase the line popped I decided that it was likely the low weight braid hitting somthing in the sand. I have decided to buy another rod/reel setup to fit a higher capacity mono line in hopes that wont be the case this time.

We are planning on heading to nc for the end of the big hammer challenge. I have zero chance of winning and thats not the goal, the goal is to just participate and help support the scene. And hopefully, if all gores right, land my first decent sized shark!

I was doing a bunch of reading on here and saw "Shark Hunter" posting a lot of advice and fixing some reels. I sent him a PM asking for some help/advice. Well the man was beyond helpful, he actually searched out and found me a great deal on a Penn 12/0. I just bought it. Super happy about the help, this site and my purchase.

I look forward to spending a bunch more time on this site and trying to learn everything I can.

If anyone has any rod/other gear suggestions im all ears, or any advice or anything.

Thanks everyone

alantani

i'm west coast so i can't help much, but lots of guys here are on the east coast.  i'm certain they'll chime in.  welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

Welcome !!  I've got to try that shark fishing sometime....closest I've come so far, is watching them eat the red snappers off my line !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

happyhooker

Hello & welcome from that bastion of salt water fishing--southern Minnesota.

Frank

Bill B

Welcome Blazer....Bill from So. Calif
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Mat,
Your reel is ready. I serviced it last night. The drag stack was new. all it needed was greased.
Put a better handle on it and a rod brace.
It was like new on the inside, just needed greased up.
Polished the rings and stand a bit.
I'll get it boxed up tonight,
Daron
Life is Good!

SPLBlazer

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Awesome Daron! Thanks again. Pm me with your total and ill send you some money!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Mat --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Welcome aboard and happy fishing.

joesan

"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero