Line capacity MATH

Started by Decker, July 27, 2017, 03:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

This is GOOD.  I'm just sitting back and watching :D

js1172

I just use this, of the dozen reels I've measured compared to the numbers this calculator gives me, its very close. I used it to figure how much 150# topshot would go on my 12/0 over 600 yards of 200 JBH, it was off by 10 yards 436 to 446, but I packed it to the bars under 20# or so of drag.

http://www.fishingstyles.com/forums/calc.swf
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson

boon

Quote from: js1172 on September 09, 2017, 11:22:54 AM
I just use this, of the dozen reels I've measured compared to the numbers this calculator gives me, its very close. I used it to figure how much 150# topshot would go on my 12/0 over 600 yards of 200 JBH, it was off by 10 yards 436 to 446, but I packed it to the bars under 20# or so of drag.

http://www.fishingstyles.com/forums/calc.swf
js

I've recently started under-filling my reels by a percentage; the problem being if I break off at the terminal tackle in deeper water, and I have to wind in say 100m+ of braid and 10m of heavy leader under essentially no load at all, it's very easy to suddenly have a completely full reel and line still in the water.

swill88

I'm reading everything you all wrote now I'm going to tesselate.

steve

Decker

Quote from: swill88 on September 12, 2017, 03:51:48 AM

steve

May your tesselations be true!

js1172

steve
ok somebody define "tessellate" to an unedumacated redneck!
js

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son

Decker

Quote from: js1172 on September 12, 2017, 11:24:50 PM

steve
ok somebody define "tessellate" to an unedumacated redneck!
js

It means "fit."  Fill a bucket with rocks of the same size, and shake it around and add more until the rocks fill the bucket and no more rocks fit. The rocks are tessellated in the bucket.  

That illustrates the idea, but it really is a term for geometry, as I understand. Here it applies to fishing line of a uniform thickness fitting in a cross-sectional area of a spool.

Make any sense?

js1172

perfectly, just seems like a complicated word for "fit"
js

Decker

Quote from: js1172 on September 13, 2017, 10:46:57 PM
perfectly, just seems like a complicated word for "fit"
js

Yeah, I had to google it myself ;D