Some truths I learned about knots over time.

Started by japeto, September 27, 2017, 08:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Here's a snell I tie for soft baits( roe, clams, etc.) pic. 1 is the tightened-up finished knot and pic. 2 shows how you pull the leader side back down through the eye and use this loop to chinch the bait to the hook. Sorry but I couldn't photo. the individual steps. 1) push tag end through eye 2) wrap leader end back over hook/tag end 3-5 times 3) tricky part: bring leader back through eye, leave a 3" diameter loop. Hard to describe but the loop's gotta be "twist looped" over itself, 'bout 3 times, toward the back of the hook, then pull leader away from the hook to remove slack.
Basically, step 3 is a standard snell. Knot works best if you can cinch it down on any tougher connective tissue such as the "lip" a clam or the skain of roe.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

happyhooker

I suspect there was too much generalization about using Super Glue on knots.  When jurelometer said he's seen it help or hurt depending on the knot & glue used, I could very well agree & might add the type of line used enters into it too.

For me, a large part of my fishing is using older types of spinning reels for freshwater fishing; I use mono line on them because that is what was the standard back then when these reels were first made.  So, my comments about gluing were intended to reflect the mono line I use.  For what it's worth, I've glued many knots over the years, and can't recall any issues arising.  I usually do not glue knots while I'm on the water because I don't want to wait for the drying.  CA may bond almost instantly when used to join to things together, but it takes awhile when just a drop is put on a knot.

C. Boyd Pfeiffer and Gary Soucie were two pretty well known fishing writers, and they both touted the use of CA to seal knots.  Deneki Outdoors, who run a bunch of fishing lodges, had a blog where they checked with what they called "some of the industry's best anglers" about rigs they used & claimed many of them coated at least some knots with glue.  Zap-A-Gap is a CA, is widely used as a knot sealer and is sold by Cabela's, Orvis, Bass Pro Shops, etc.

Loon's UV Knot Sense is NOT a CA, as far as my limited scientific knowledge goes, but what they call a UV cure adhesive.  The stuff has to "cure", either with a special UV light or by leaving it out in the sun.  It is supposed to be flexible after curing, which might eliminate many "hinging" issues, and sounds different from (most?) CAs, which cure hard.

Stren use to sell a CA product called "Loc-Knot" & it was supposedly offered to seal knots.  I don't know if they offer it anymore, which might reflect any number of things, if true, including that there wasn't enough of a market for it or that it maybe just didn't work.

Frank