Deadly tandem rig for freshwater panfish

Started by festus, September 28, 2017, 03:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Thought l'd share a little knowledge on catching panfish on topwater, especially in ponds.  

First tie on either a Rapala, Rebel, or other floating topwater minnow. l generally use 6 pound test and the 2-3/4" length lure, 7' St. Croix Premier UL rod and a Mitchell 308.  About 14" up the line, tie on about a 6" dropper line and a dry fly of choice.  

The plug is used more as a casting weight, usually the strikes occur on the fly.  l just throw it out there and let it set motionless for a while, then twitch it, or slowly retrieve it.  Don't be surprised to catch doubles.  

l've caught fish on this rig when no one else around me is catching anything.  LOL, at times l've almost been embarrassed because l was catching fish and outfishing live bait fishermen.  lMHO sometimes l think the rig draws strikes because the fish are trying to prevent a smaller fish from eating supper.

l've caught bluegill, redear sunfish, warmouth, rock bass, green sunfish, largemouth, smallmouth, rainbow and brook trout, yellow perch, yellow bass and white bass on this rig. lt's really deadly on bream on their spawning beds.

STRIPER LOU

Its a great setup festus. We use the same thing here for striped bass but on a much larger scale with a buck tail for the dropper.

Glad it works well for you!

...............Lou

happyhooker

Sounds like an idea & a good one--I gotta try it, as I very much like tricking sunnies & other panfish.  Wonder if something other than a dry fly might work too?

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on September 28, 2017, 09:31:56 PM
Sounds like an idea & a good one--I gotta try it, as I very much like tricking sunnies & other panfish.  Wonder if something other than a dry fly might work too?

Frank
Yes, l've used small bream popping bugs and rubber legged sponge baits also, but they don't seem as effective as a regular trout fly.

A variation is a wet fly in front of a small diving crankbait, say the smallest Shad Rap.

happyhooker

Well, the seed is planted & I'm gonna try this.  If the logic is (and it sounds good to me) that your target fish is trying to beat out the "plug" in getting to the fly, your suggested distance between the plug & fly makes sense, vs. maybe having them further apart.

Frank

jackpine

Thanks for the tip.

Here in "ice country" we us a similar method. Jig or weight on the bottom and a dropper rig above it. It's called a "Michigan Rig."

When using tip ups with a large minnow on the bottom hook the fly dropper rig is dragged around by the minnow. Very effective.

Rancanfish

I remember seeing that set up a long time ago, thanks.  I think it may work at a local lake.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

When it comes ta sunfish species(including LM Bass), onea the keys that festus mentioned has always worked well for me with floating rigs: let it sit for a bit after it lands. Esp. with fish that might be used to bein fished for.
The guy that taught me actually clocked himself witha watch, usin "Hula Poppers" on LMB.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

Be sure to check with your local regulations: That rig would be illegal in Alaska because that too many hook points.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

sdlehr

Hard to know what goes on in the complex mind of a fish, but I think the fish is triggered to strike, much like a strike reflex, by seeing another "fish" chasing "bait". I believe they learn in fish school that the chances of both fish getting a meal goes way up when they hunt cooperatively. It makes sense, how many predators can one little prey keep an eye on at once?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

festus

Quote from: akfish on October 21, 2017, 05:31:06 PM
Be sure to check with your local regulations: That rig would be illegal in Alaska because that too many hook points.
That rig is illegal in certain trout and walleye waters in East Tennessee.  However, it is still legal to use this dropper rig in single hook waters as long as the treble hooks from the plug are removed.

mo65

We use a variation of this rig for bluegills. We tie a fly on behind a topwater frog...its a blast! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~