Siezed handle on p220 - Help!

Started by Windrush, October 25, 2017, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windrush

I just picked up an old reel and cannot get the handle off.  I've soaked it, sprayed it and used several penetrating lubes to try to break the corrosion between the handle hole and the shaft.  No luck.  Anyone know any magic?  Thanks Charles

Cor

No magic, keep on with penetrating oil and soak and clean off corrosion with a tooth brush or fine bronze brush.   You can try prising it of with screw driver if it won't damage the side plate.   Perhaps some heat but it becomes more risky as you try more radical solutions.

I am sure someone will come up with a solution, good luck.
Cornelis

thorhammer

spray underside well also and see if you can back of the drag enough to start pressing from the backside to crack corrosion. just be careful to work it gradually and not get star stuck also. If you have to heat, try with soldering gun inside gear sleeve rather than a torch. localized heating beats melting plates with heat gun or torch.

Windrush

Thanks for the replies,  I took it to my shop wrapped in a rag and clamped it in a vice, then man handled the star with channel locks.  Slowly the force of the star moved the handle!  Guess all the treatments helped.  Now I have to wait on metal drag washers as I only found one inside...

steelfish

Quote from: Windrush on October 25, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
then man handled the star with channel locks.  Slowly the force of the star moved the handle! 

been there done that.

and still there are guys that dont "believe" in regular service for their reels every season
The Baja Guy

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: steelfish on October 25, 2017, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: Windrush on October 25, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
then man handled the star with channel locks.  Slowly the force of the star moved the handle! 

been there done that.

Yep, to a lot of guys don't service a reel till is so bad that I need to charge 2-3x for all the issues that could've been prevented with routine service. It is what it is...you can lead a horse to water, blah blah blah.

and still there are guys that dont "believe" in regular service for their reels every season

Newell Nut

The best thing for a long life for any reel is a good wash after each fishing trip. Solves a lot of problems.