D.A.M. Quick 550N, do l need a bail spring?

Started by festus, September 30, 2017, 02:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This one looks pretty bad, can it be salvaged?  ???  ::)

l set this aside for a few weeks then revisited it tonight. Everything else about the reel seems ok.

foakes

Looks pretty good from here --

Except the top coil needs to be bent back into position.

This can be done easy enough by finding a rod about 1/16" smaller than the inside diameter of the spring -- then working to shape the spring back with all coils lining up square.

The more critical thing on an "N" is to get the other 15 of the 16 bail and trip system parts working freely with no hangups or gouges to impede the proper bail function -- then the spring can be addressed lastly.

Make sure the Stop rod, stop rod spring, stop block piece are all working freely and crisply with the trip lever.

Clean and burnish everything really thoroughly, then just a half drop of oil (no more) -- or a slight dusting of graphite powder to make sure all is at optimum snapback.

The bail spring is actually just one of 16 components in this bail system -- and if the rest is not working freely, it is easy to just blame the bail spring. 

Although in this case the spring does appear to need addressing or replacement.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on September 30, 2017, 04:48:44 AM

The more critical thing on an "N" is to get the other 15 of the 16 bail and trip system parts working freely with no hangups or gouges to impede the proper bail function -- then the spring can be addressed lastly.

Make sure the Stop rod, stop rod spring, stop block piece are all working freely and crisply with the trip lever.

Fred, you're right, looks like these other trip system parts also need some work.  This 550N might be a project l need to send you if you have parts and time. lf it was a Mitchell 300 or a round Abu baitcaster l would have repaired it myself already.

festus

Quote from: foakes on September 30, 2017, 04:48:44 AM

The bail spring is actually just one of 16 components in this bail system -- and if the rest is not working freely, it is easy to just blame the bail spring. 

Best,

Fred
Yes, the stop rod is frozen and l cannot get it to budge.  l let it soak in Liquid Wrench on both ends, tried gently pushing it out with a small screwdriver and it still won't move.

ls the stop rod just gunked up and frozen or is there a trick to get it to move? Looks like all the parts are there.

foakes

If you remove part 13 -- which is the world's tiniest hidden "C" clip -- you should be able to remove the trip rod and coil spring.

A long, slim pair or needlenose pliers will do this.  Do this in a plastic bag if you are unsure -- it will go flying into low earth orbit otherwise.

If still stuck or crusted up -- a flat screwdriver and a tap with a hammer will likely pop it loose and out.  Clean these parts up well -- a drop or two of oil -- and they should work fine.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

l was afraid the C-clip would have to be removed, lol.  l'm the world's worst removing C-clips, but have never lost one. l can barely see this one.

Looks like if l removed part #60 it would be much easier.  Part #60 appears to be made out of rubber or vinyl and could easily be damaged.  Would it be safe to pull it off with needlenose pliers or will it damage?

foakes

Sometimes they become brittle and break -- no matter how careful you are.

If you can get under the tubing with a couple of strong pry bars like thin screwdrivers or pocket knives -- it should just pop off.

If it is hard, brittle, or ready to break -- just replace it with a sliced ring of surgical tubing.  That is what it is.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Thanks for the help, Fred.

l'll probably have to go to the Dollar Tree and buy their strongest reading glasses to remove and replace that C-clip. 

At least l got it figured out, getting it done might be a different story.  ::)

festus

Finally got the C-clamp, stop rod, and other parts removed.  After oiling, the stop rod slides freely in the hole. 

But I'm now at a standstill until I get the C-clamp reinstalled.  I searched high and low for my narrow needlenose pliers but apparently one of my stepsons has misplaced them. A trip to Wal-Mart for a pair of hemostats is in the near future.

Again, thanks for your expert advice and patience, Fred.  D.A.M. Quicks are still my favorite spinning reels even though repairing one is quite a bit more difficult and tedious than working on a Mitchell. 

foakes

Like a lot of folks on our site -- you are becoming very proficient on Quicks and other old quality reels like Mitchells, Cardinals, Daiwas, etc..

Good work!

I have found that a touch of grease on the "C" clip helps with a third hand during reinstall -- also a drop of oil on the pin where the spring lives -- is useful long-term.

After you do a couple of these -- you will find it is just a minute or so project.

Here is what helps me on the install.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Whew! Getting that c-clip back on is the most difficult task l've encountered in my short time as a reel greasemonkey.

But, back to square one.  l started this thread about a malfunctioning bail spring.  Looks like the problem is still here.  l tried installing it and each time l tightened the screw, the bail spring jumped out of track.  l'll try to bend it back to shape again.

festus

l'm getting discouraged with this reel. After l reassembled it the anti-reverse doesn't work.  Also when l install the spool and turn the crank,  l hear something clicking.  Loosen the spool and it goes away.  l noticed somehow the plastic ratchet wheel got dinged up and out of shape somehow the last couple of days.  Not sure l assembled it correctly but followed the schematic.  Maybe l'll just look for another 550N and use this one for parts. l still don't understand how the anti-reverse and bail assembly operate.  lt's got to be something simple, just can't pinpoint whatever it is.

Midway Tommy

Persistence is the key. Stay with that sucker, Chet, and yee shall persevere.  :)

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

At least l got this reel out of the give away box and didn't pay a penny for it.

l'll eventually get it right, will probably fix it and never figure out how l did it, this has happened before.  :D

All the anti-reverse pieces are in place (inside circle on schematic), so l don't know why they aren't working.

Also l'm not sure if the setting element (arrow points to it) needs to be rotated to a certain position.

Midway Tommy

As far as the bail spring installation goes, when I do it I install the spring & bail arm by themselves without the bail attached and then let it set there free. Then I tape over or wedge the pin in and install the plate & bail on the pin side. At that point I make sure the bail lines up freely without any twist or bind and install the line roller on the bail and connect it to the bail arm. I almost always do that procedure before ever connecting the rotor to the body. It is much less cumbersome and fairly straight forward. There's no binding or twist on the bail spring that way. If lined of properly the bail should snap back shut with good authority.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)