D.A.M. Quick 550N, do l need a bail spring?

Started by festus, September 30, 2017, 02:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Likely just an assembly problem --

Do what Tommy suggests -- leave the bail wire off until last -- that way you isolate and eliminate any bent bail or pressure binding issues until the A/R system is right, active, and no weird clicking.

All the round cam does is apply pressure to the triangle spring for hard, medium, or light bail trip rod return.

You will see (3) corresponding letters inside the rotor that this round part points to when adjusted with a screwdriver.  HML -- hard, medium, light.

Just make sure when the A/R lever is in the free position -- that the A/R dog is tucked all of the way back into its groove -- so it will not touch the inside of the rotor A/R notches when the rotor is attached.

Might be as simple as your dog is worn down -- or a weak dog A/R spring -- or?

Post some actual pics of where you are at on your reel -- and I will also post a pic of what it should look like.

You are almost there...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 11, 2017, 04:45:55 AM
As far as the bail spring installation goes, when I do it I install the spring & bail arm by themselves without the bail attached and then let it set there free. Then I tape over or wedge the pin in and install the plate & bail on the pin side. At that point I make sure the bail lines up freely without any twist or bind and install the line roller on the bail and connect it to the bail arm. I almost always do that procedure before ever connecting the rotor to the body. It is much less cumbersome and fairly straight forward. There's no binding or twist on the bail spring that way. If lined of properly the bail should snap back shut with good authority.     
l do the same, Tommy, but the spring always jumps track anyway.

festus

Quote from: foakes on October 11, 2017, 05:03:26 AM
Likely just an assembly problem --

Do what Tommy suggests -- leave the bail wire off until last -- that way you isolate and eliminate any bent bail or pressure binding issues until the A/R system is right, active, and no weird clicking.

All the round cam does is apply pressure to the triangle spring for hard, medium, or light bail trip rod return.

You will see (3) corresponding letters inside the rotor that this round part points to when adjusted with a screwdriver.  HML -- hard, medium, light.

Just make sure when the A/R lever is in the free position -- that the A/R dog is tucked all of the way back into its groove -- so it will not touch the inside of the rotor A/R notches when the rotor is attached.

Might be as simple as your dog is worn down -- or a weak dog A/R spring -- or?

Post some actual pics of where you are at on your reel -- and I will also post a pic of what it should look like.

You are almost there...

Best,

Fred
Yes, my anti-reverse is in place like your pics, Fred.  The A/R was working fine a couple days ago before l disassembled the reel. And it's tucked back before l install the rotor. l might post pics tomorrow when l have time. 

festus

Here are two pics with the A/R lever on.

After reassembly, the A/R does work when the crank handle is setting at the 8 o'clock position and the 1 o'clock position.

festus

Here's a pic with the A/R lever on the off position.

Spring and dog seem fine.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on October 11, 2017, 05:12:23 AM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 11, 2017, 04:45:55 AM
As far as the bail spring installation goes, when I do it I install the spring & bail arm by themselves without the bail attached and then let it set there free. Then I tape over or wedge the pin in and install the plate & bail on the pin side. At that point I make sure the bail lines up freely without any twist or bind and install the line roller on the bail and connect it to the bail arm. I almost always do that procedure before ever connecting the rotor to the body. It is much less cumbersome and fairly straight forward. There's no binding or twist on the bail spring that way. If lined of properly the bail should snap back shut with good authority.      
l do the same, Tommy, but the spring always jumps track anyway.

I'm baffled, then. I've never had that happen on a Dam, they're one of the easier reels to install bail springs in. My only other suggestions would be to make sure that the last coil isn't counter bent and the prong is long enough to go all the way into & through the plate hole. It should be flush with the outside surface of the bail arm before tightening the screw. Also, make sure the bail arm screw is correct or not worn.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

l don't understand it either, Tommy.  When l cleaned up my 220N reinstalling the bail spring was no problem at all.

foakes

If you decide you want to send it to me, festus --

I will get it going, replace the spring and whatever else it needs at no charge -- get it operating perfectly -- then post pics of the issues so we can all learn.

If you wish to do this, just PM me and I'll give you my address.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Thanks for your generous offer, Fred, PM sent.

....and I forgot to mention the reel also needs a brake spindle.  I don't know if that could be part of the current malfunctions however.

foakes

No problem, festus --

I will take care of it and get it back to you ready to fish.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Great idea Fred...I'm anxious to see the outcome. We'll prolly all learn something on this one. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Yes, l definitely need a bail spring.

l swapped the bail spring from my D.A.M. Quick 220 N to this 550N and the bail now works fine.

But l still haven't solved my anti-reverse problem and also need a cover cap, ratchet wheel, and maybe another little thing or two.  Fred, l'm still taking inventory of other parts and pieces for other reels l need and will have this 550N to you soon, l hope.

foakes

Whenever you get it to me would be fine, Chester --

I will return your 220 bail spring in a small bag so you can use it for something else.

While the 220 BS may work on your bench -- it is not correct -- it needs a heavier gauge and stronger spring for the 550.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Yes, I already put the spring back in the 220N where it belongs.

Got lots more confidence working on these D.A.M. Quicks now.  I serviced my Finessa which has a minor problem I'll post about in the near future.  The 220N has been serviced, everything ok there except for a chip out of the reel foot but still will mount on a rod sufficiently.

IMHO the older 220 is the best built reel out of my small collection.  The only plastic I saw was the handle knob and parts of the spool.