Cleaning

Started by sharkman, October 02, 2017, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

What is best cleaner for rods to keep them in good shape.

thorhammer

Main thing is a good freshwater rinse after use. I wipe with Penn cleaner after.  Foam grips can be cleaned with detergent and water, and scotch brite pad or brush.  If roller guides, inspect and just a little shot if corrosion X or block, or 3-in-1 is better than nothing.  1500 wet dry sand paper on corks. Car wax on the blank helps too.

If you fish saltwater, take reel off and clean then grease between seat and reel foot.  When you spray off rod it does a great job of pushing salts into that crevice with bad news later if not cleaned. On larger outfits I will put a small piece of Saran Wrap under foot to insulate galvanic action and still grease both surfaces. 

I try to store in dark or at least dim conditions (blinds on garage windows) or rod sleeve to minimize UV exposure when not fishing it.  This seems to help as I have rods I built 20 years ago that haven't yellowed.

My .02.  Main thing is get salt off; a hose spray and wipe with towel goes a really long way. 

r8rs4lf

All I do when I get home from a trip is spray all my rods with the water hose, wash with dish soap and sponge and rinse down. I let them drip dry against a wall as I go take a shower. When I get out, I take the rods and hang them in my garage to completely dry.

josa1

I rinse first, then use Dawn dish soap in warm water, applied thoroughly with an old horse hair paint brush to get into and clean every nook and cranny.  Follow all this by a final rinse of cold water and drying with an old towel.

It goes very quickly, and leaves the rods very clean.  I do not apply any lubricant to them after the washing.

josa1

alantani

i use dishwashing soap and water, then a light spray of corrosion x, then wipe down the excess.  pretty simple.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on October 02, 2017, 04:36:50 PM
i use dishwashing soap and water, then a light spray of corrosion x, then wipe down the excess.  pretty simple.

2x.

if I dont have the corrosion X (spray bottle) on hand I use Inox spray oil instead.
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Good Freshwater Rinse right after fishing. Corrosion X wipe down on all guides and seat, especially the threads and nuts.
Then a final wipe down with Pledge and back in the cotton sock for storage.
Life is Good!

sharkman

Thanks everyone for replies. Gave all good bath and rinse. Wiped guides with anticorrison spray. Got some corrison x on they way. Greased reel seats.

Bill B

When I get home, into the shower for me and my poles with reels attached....a good shower for the bunch of us then a a shot of anything handy on the guides....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Warm water bath for both rods and reels except for my one piece rods. They only get a cold bath. I have yet had guides corrode to a point of replacing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 02, 2017, 05:23:42 PM
Good Freshwater Rinse right after fishing. Corrosion X wipe down on all guides and seat, especially the threads and nuts.
Then a final wipe down with Pledge and back in the cotton sock for storage.

Beast ice keeps liver from rusting.

thorhammer

Quote from: sharkman on October 02, 2017, 11:59:09 PM
Thanks everyone for replies. Gave all good bath and rinse. Wiped guides with anticorrison spray. Got some corrison x on they way. Greased reel seats.

I use corrosion X on everything. Bearings, rusty tools, rods or whatever. Corrosion block and Ballistol are good too in terms of protection but heavy for bearings

Shark Hunter

Beast ice keeps liver from rusting.
;D
Life is Good!

happyhooker

Car wax idea is good.

If you get a small spot where the shiny coating on the graphite or fiberglass got rubbed off, put a little water based poly on it; will dry fast and restore shine & protection.

Frank