Greetings from CA

Started by paulo57t09, October 02, 2017, 01:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulo57t09

I haven't had a line in the water for the better part of 30 years. Kind of lost my way after high school.

Back in the day, my family and I fished the reservoirs in Santa Clara County, San Joaquin Delta - Frank's Tract in particular and the Truckee River near Boca Reservoir.  Surf fishing was done on the beaches in Santa Cruz and Watsonville.

Recently, I found my old tackle and I think I'm catching the bug again while going through the box of reels my father, brother and I used.  This was the motivation for registering here.  Old age is a terrible thing; there are reels in the box that I have no idea where they came from.  A Mitchell 300 and 324 (that's missing it's spool, but the spindle and drag parts still there (???), for example.

I did locate the Penn 145M, still in its box that I believe was only used once...by me when I was around 12 years old.  It was bird nest city and that's why Dad got me a spinning reel.  Still didn't keep me from wrapping line under the spool.

I'm working on the Mitchell 302's that my father and I used.  I do recall having them apart back in the 70's.  There's definite evidence of this everywhere in the form of brown wheel bearing grease and buggered screws.

Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge.  It's a been a big help and hopefully I'll be able to reciprocate.  A lot has changed in these three short decades.

-Paul O.

Bryan Young

Welcome back to fishing or fixing... or both.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Welcome aboard, Paul --

Lots of help on the this, the best tackle service, upgrade, and repair board in the world.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Welcome !!Enjoy the memories that those old reels bring back....and then get out there and make some new ones !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Tiddlerbasher

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Todd Jacobsen

Welcome to a great wealth of knowledge as you will find out. Franks,Tract and Delta are right close by me.

Dominick

Yo! Paulie...Good to have you aboard.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Welcome, Paul. Thirty years! Dude, that's kinda tragic. Grew up in Fremont and I've fished some of the same waters you have. The Truckee I love, but where's Boca reservior?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

STRIPER LOU

Welcome Paul!

Lou from Conn.

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on October 02, 2017, 08:59:28 PM
Welcome, Paul. Thirty years! Dude, that's kinda tragic. Grew up in Fremont and I've fished some of the same waters you have. The Truckee I love, but where's Boca reservior?
Gfish
Just above Boca Dam.  ;D ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.