Greetings from CA

Started by paulo57t09, October 02, 2017, 01:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: Gfish on October 02, 2017, 08:59:28 PM
The Truckee I love, but where's Boca reservior?
Gfish

Gfish, I don't know if your are serious?

Boca Reservoir is one of the easiest lakes to get to, off of a main interstate freeway.  You have probably driven by Boca Dam for decades and not realized it.  It impounds flow on the Little Truckee River just upstream of the confluence with the Truckee River.  It is just off I80, now just east of the Truckee town limits (my, how Truckee town limits have spread out).  The Donner Pass Ag Inspection Station is now inside of Truckee town limits. 

Heading east toward Boomtown and Reno, the knoll to the north east of the Ag Station is Boca Hill.  I80 goes around Boca Hill and heads down toward the Truckee River.  Near the bottom of the grade is the Hirschdale off ramp.  Looking over your left shoulder as you pass by, you will see the entire earthen face of Boca Dam.  Access to the dam and reservoir is by way of Stampede Meadows Road at the Hirschdale off ramp.

bhale1

Paul,
Greetings from Arizona!
Brett

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

happyhooker

Ditto what Crow said.

Welcome!

Frank

paulo57t09

Everyone, thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes, a thirty year hiatus is tragic.   Especially since San Joaquin delta water is so close by; a fifteen minute drive, provided I plan my departure times around the commuters and tourists.

-Paul

Todd Jacobsen

Where abouts do you live? I to am 15 minutes away from the Delta give or take a red light or 2 lol

joesan

Welcome Paul, and I know the feeling of just coming back to something you love.
Super helpful folks here. Have fished the San Lorenzo for steelies.
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

paulo57t09

Quote from: joesan on October 06, 2017, 05:42:08 AM
Welcome Paul, and I know the feeling of just coming back to something you love.
Super helpful folks here. Have fished the San Lorenzo for steelies.

When I was still in grade school (before 1970), my father and I went to Santa Cruz on opening day of steelhead season to check out the action.  The mouth of the San Lorenzo was literally shoulder-to-shoulder anglers.  Even to this day, I haven't figured out how one can fish like this without getting tangled.  I can't imaging what it's like these days.

In high school, my buddy and I used to fish the San Lorenzo where we hiked in from Highway 9 somewhere near Roaring Camp.  All I can recall of the location was some vertical concrete walls near the shore, perpendicular to the current.  Erosion protection?  Admittedly, we didn't know what we were doing.  The goal was just to get away from the folks, go for a drive, get outside and have a few laughs.  With the exception of my folks, the same goals still apply.

-Paul

festus

Welcome Paulo, plenty of help on here dealing with Mitchells and Penns.

theswimmer

welcome Paul,
We fish from the SF bay south to Morro all the time.
Just got back from fishing Pescadero south to Santa Cruz ober the weekend.
Tons of bait, some small fish and lots of fun.....🏄
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Bill B

Welcome Paul....a former West Sac river rat....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!