Bolt Cutters

Started by Shark Hunter, October 03, 2017, 04:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 04, 2017, 06:11:29 AM
Daron,
Those L.P. hooks are tough!

The swordfishermen use that hook in an 18/0 size.  

We use 16/0 and 20/0 Mustad C hooks for Pacific halibut and I have seen photos of one through a friends arm.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Those knipex cutters look like a good tool. I have a smaller set, They are in the first picture with the baseball on top of them that the kids left in my yard, but you have to be careful around a Shark's mouth. 8" is too close for me.
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Just testing - I've been playing with Imgur for photos:

handi2

I have the Knipex cutters too. They are the best. All of their tools are good but costly. I broke the small ones last year not by using them but by dropping them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Crow

I have quite a few Knipex tools, and I can say that they hold up well in industrial applications...heavy use, neglect, abuse, whatever. I carry an 8" set in my tackle....more for" people de-hooking", than "fish de-hooking", and haven't had to use them yet...thankfully ! I do have a larger set of H-P in my truck toolbox.....and, If I ever DO hook a shark ...even a small one....staying as far from his business end as possible will be a priority, on my part !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

Hey Sharkee! ;)     Just kiddin,  why not have an inverter powered plasma cutter on your beach strolls,  they will cut just about all metals and not harm the sharks teeth????? ???    Serious!!!

Shark Hunter

I think I'll pass on that Gary. ;)
Using a Plasma Cutter standing in salt water is a bad idea.
I bought another one that has Chrome Moly Jaws and 4000lbs of cutting power.
They are called bolt cutters, but they really just crush what you are trying to cut through.
I won't have to worry about it anymore.
I figure I can put them in a folding chair bag with a shoulder strap and be done with it.
Another 12 pounds to carry to the beach. ::)
Life is Good!

melkapule

As an underground cable splicer, we used a ratcheting cable cutter. Large two handed ones, and small one handed ones. Closed like handcuffs. About the size of the Knipex though the ratcheting mechanism was large. Those would be ideal if they could cut hooks. I could not find any online other than ones that cut copper or aluminum. Still, there may be something out there.

Tiddlerbasher

I liked the Knipex cutters so much I bought one - the 10" model

https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=2430&artID=34798

As has already been said they aren't cheap but they are top quality.

I have been looking for a ratcheting cutter they are out there- this one looked promising - but like some others (I've seen) I don't know how well it would work with hard alloys like piano wire:
http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/ratcheting/heavy-duty-ratcheting-bolt-cutter
The cost is another factor :(

The various manufacturers only tend to quote cutting capacity up to Rockwell HRC40-45 (hard rebar?). I don't think that would cope with some of the harder alloys.
Knipex make a non-ratchet long handled cutter that will cope with HRC48. Their compact cutters cope with a bit more but not the thickness.
On balance I think I will go the same route as Daron - 24-30" standard bolt cutters, probably one of the Knipex big boys

ScottOz

Hey guys.i had same problem.the cheap cutters would cutt 16\0 mustad circles no problem but 13\0  high carbon eagle claws no way.got a pair of H.I.T bolt cutters withhardened jaws 450mm long and happy days.

Shark Hunter

When my new cutters come in, I'll make a Video of cutting one of those Stainless LP Circles.
If they can cut those, I will be impressed.
I'm pretty sure two tons of pressure from Chrome Moly Jaws will get it done.
Life is Good!

Crow

Well, just make sure to "secure" both pieces of the hook before you cut it.....bolt heads, etc. will fly like bullets when they are cut off....I have a "fake tooth" in front from just such an "incident"! The "harder" the steel...the more pressure it takes, and , the more pressure...the farther,..and faster...the chunks will fly !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

I'm going to crimp both ends with 480lb cable and secure with deck screws on the other end.
Life is Good!

Lunker Larry

Most muskie guys use Knipex cutters. They really do work fantastic and hold up. Up here they sell them at Lowes in the electrical section for some reason and not in the tools with the other cutters.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?