So that's why the drag on my 302 felt weird

Started by newfuturevintage, October 03, 2017, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfuturevintage

I had a 302 that had a funny feeling drag and thought I'd do the penn 6-155 washer update to it in an effort to get it behaving properly.

Looks like what was in there was all steel, no 'C' washer, and a few bonus washers were included for fun. Were there no fiber washers in this thing originally?

I'm reminded of Fred's assertion that the 302/402 assembly is "needlessly complicated" :)

The update worked great, looking forward to fishing this again!

foakes

This is how we learn -- by thinking, experimenting, attempting -- and possibly most of all...having a comfortable understanding of how these parts were engineered to go together and why.

But there is no reason, that they cannot be improved upon -- as we become more familiar with their operation and some of the new products and lubes available.

Good figuring out!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Originally they are all brass washers. What most people prefer is the carbon drag washers with the brass click washers removed. I use 5 carbon washers greased with Cal's. Its so much smoother.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

newfuturevintage

Thanks, Fred!

Quote from: handi2 on October 03, 2017, 06:02:01 PM
Originally they are all brass washers. What most people prefer is the carbon drag washers with the brass click washers removed. I use 5 carbon washers greased with Cal's. Its so much smoother.

I did 4 Penn washers and kept the clicker, probably more for nostalgia than anything else :)

Interesting to learn about the brass...In this reel's previous stack, the only brass part was the "+" washer at the top right of the pic; everything but that and I think the top hat washer stuck nicely to a fridge magnet.

Haven't greased the washers yet, but will when I finally get around to ordering some Cal's.

paulo57t09

Here's the drag stacks from two 302's that I'm currently working on, laid out as they came out of the spool.

These were previously disassembled by me 20 or so years ago (I'm the original owner of both).  IIRC at the time, I was stumped because nothing in them resembled the little yellow sticker on the bottom of the spool.  I just re-stuffed them as close to the diagram as I could.  The drags clicked/adjusted after re-assembly so I figured they were good to go.

Needlessly complicated and a bit puzzling to say the least:

Top Stack: First indexed washer is steel and bent in half like a spring washer.  Another steel is a double-D washer that was under the spring.  There's a missing a copper double-D.

Bottom Stack: First indexed washer is Teflon.  No steels.  Split nut and no spring washer on top.

I'm fixing to just do the HT-100 conversion on both.

newfuturevintage

maybe we should have a contest for the greatest number of washers to come out of one of these stacks :)