Serviced an old Mitchell 308

Started by festus, October 05, 2017, 07:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

A few weeks ago I found a treasure trove of used Mitchell reels, all 300 models except for this lone 308. Cost of the reel? 3 bucks for this classic.

It's so eaten up with rash I couldn't get a number off of the reel foot.  It was working ok,  handle was a wee bit stiff to turn, so I tore it apart.  Don't have a clue how old it could be, but imagine at least 35 years.

This is my first attempt at tearing down a 308.  It's much different than a 300 internally, but I found a three part video on the Mitchell Museum very helpful.

The only problem I encountered was with the anti-reverse spring.  After about 10 minutes of frustration, got the spring finally situated correctly on the dog. The bail spring and trip lever were working fine, so l didn't take them apart, just cleaned inside the rotor a tad.  After clean up, lube, and reassembly, it feels very smooth.  

Mounted it on a used St Croix ultralight 6'6" graphite rod that weighs three ounces.  Cost of the rod? 4 bucks. Spooled it with 4 lb test Mr. Crappie mono, took it outside with a 1/8 sinker and it casts about 25 yards effortlessly.  We live on the edge of deep woods and I didn't want to press my luck and try casting farther, didn't want to tangle in the trees.

So this is a combo I invested 7 bucks into, not counting the line.  Doubt if I could find anything off the shelves of the big box stores for less than 100 bucks any better than this other than looking prettier. I'd rather have this anyway, I mainly fish from shore, sometimes small streams such as this around all kinds of rocks, bluffs, and boulders and don't have to worry about banging up such an inexpensive set up.

mo65

That's a great little reel...perfect for fishing streams and creeks. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

I used to have a 308A that I bought new in the 1980s.  Got into some stripers up to about 10 lbs in a bigger lowland creek with 6 lb Stren one spring day.  My 308A was definitely overmatched but nevertheless I got 3 or so landed.  Switched to my  Abu 5000B, and Ugly Stik, lol.

happyhooker

I don't have a 308, but have been tempted.  When the question comes up "What's a good vintage ultralight reel that can be used effectively today", the 308 is on just about all of the lists, along with its younger brother the 408.  It isn't always at the top of the list, but its on a bunch of them and is on top on more than a few.

And, or course, its a doggone good looking classic reel, like the Mitchell 300, 400, etc.

Frank

newfuturevintage

that's a crazy good score, congrats!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on October 05, 2017, 08:38:19 PM
I don't have a 308, but have been tempted.  When the question comes up "What's a good vintage ultralight reel that can be used effectively today", the 308 is on just about all of the lists, along with its younger brother the 408.  It isn't always at the top of the list, but its on a bunch of them and is on top on more than a few.

And, or course, its a doggone good looking classic reel, like the Mitchell 300, 400, etc.

Frank
I have a small fleet of ultralights and microlites, Daiwa, Shakespeare, and Shimano, but currently this 308 is my favorite.  But the Quick 110 is at the top of my list right now  if l can find one.  They may not be considered an ultralight nowadays, probably weigh an ounce or two more than a Mitchell 308. 

El Pescador

festus!

WHAT a beautiful photo of the green canyon and small stream!  Looks like a place someone needs to be handing out bottles of corn liquor bourbon!!!!

ANd for the 308!  I've had mine since age 11 and have CAUGHT THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of mostly trout here on the western flowing Sierra Nevada streams.

Used it so much, I've changed the broken bail spring 4 times!!!!

SEND MORE PHOTOS, please.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

happyhooker

Festus, I don't doubt the DAM Q might be a little heavier. The DAM Qs of that era usually are heavier than their contemporaries, but many feel they have other advantages that make up for it.  Pretty well made and just enough quirks of their own to make them even more interesting.  I've got a 220 & wouldn't mind finding a 110 or 265 myself.

Frank

festus

Quote from: El Pescador on October 05, 2017, 11:26:11 PM
festus!

WHAT a beautiful photo of the green canyon and small stream!  Looks like a place someone needs to be handing out bottles of corn liquor bourbon!!!!

ANd for the 308!  I've had mine since age 11 and have CAUGHT THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of mostly trout here on the western flowing Sierra Nevada streams.

Used it so much, I've changed the broken bail spring 4 times!!!!

Wayne
Wayne, years ago l'm sure there was plenty of corn liquor made there legally.  Here is an old photo that's well over 100 years old of the bluffs.  There was a grist mill there until a big flood that wiped out lots of roads, bridges, and houses here in East Tennessee.

festus

Quote from: El Pescador on October 05, 2017, 11:26:11 PM

Wayne
Here's the same location from a different angle, Wayne.

El Pescador

festus,

What a beautiful chunk of ground, I'll want to visit someday.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

happyhooker

Well, Festus, I can hardly believe it, but we were talking about your 308 & I said I was on the lookout for one; DID NOT get it (yet), but....

One of my sisters-in-law runs a consignment shop in central Minn.; had a lady contact her whose family had run a resort--wanted to get rid of some boxes of fishing reels.  To make a long story short, I looked in one of the boxes and, behold, a 309!  Portsider brother of the 308.  Got some other reels, but that's another story for later.  This 309 is dirty, but not too much boat rash on the body; a little on the leg & foot.  Serial number looks like 486127.  It has the spring locking type of handle (vs. screw type)--just pull on the handle & can turn it around. Fixed line guide--not a roller. I have not opened it up, but will use your info & that tutorial you mentioned when I do.  This is my 1st real (reel) hands-on w/ this model unit; it is a lot smaller than I expected, but I guess I shoulda known it wouldn't be 300 size.

I can fish it by casting w/ my right arm, then switching hands to reel, but I have a feeling my wife, who is left handed, may like this 309.

Frank

festus

Frank, that 309 is a mirror image of my 308.  I really like the internals much better than the big brother, the Mitchell 300.

I used mine once a couple days ago, rigged the smallest Sidewinder spoon made and took it to a neighbor's pond maybe 8- 10 minutes to get the line wet. Only made a few casts because it was getting ready to rain, nevertheless l accidentally snagged a puny largemouth bass in the belly but he gave a good account for himself.

BTW, the Mitchell 308 Reel Service Video is here:

Ron Jones

The 309 is definitely on my list. I am on a hunt for each and every model of South Paw Mitchel Garcia. A 497 will probably be next but the 309 will come soon enough. I'm not sure if they made a 409?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"