Accurate 3/0 side plates issue

Started by Swami805, October 06, 2017, 01:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I have a set accurate 3/0 side plates and and am having a problem getting it to work with a newell spool, the spool shaft on the handle side seems about 1/8" too long. I've tried the bearing cap out of another accurate and a cortez conversion side plate and the same problem. Works fine in the stock penn side plate. I've used newell spools with accurate side plates and never had a issue before. Got me scratching my head. I don't have another 3/0 to compare it too.
One other question, It looks like accurate punched small grooves in the inner rim of the cap that leaves a burr so the bearing won't come out. I''l post a few pics in a minute. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Here's some pics

Bryan Young

before bearing pullers from Reel Speed, I would place the side plate on a vise with my l-shaped bearing puller with a loop and pull down very hard to get those bearings out.

Regarding the spool and 3/0 reel, is it a 112H?  Is it possible the plates are for a 112?  The 112H has a longer shaft than the 112.  I could send you an aluminum spool for the 112 if you would like to try that out.  It's not from Newell, but from Penn.  Let me know.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Thanks Brain, the spool is out of a 112H narrowed be Jerry Downy. Thought it would be nice with accurate plates. The plates must be for a standard 112. I found a set of 5-1 gears, would have been a sweet narrow 3/0. I'll put it back with the penn plates, still nice to fish with. Thanks Sheridan

Bryan Young

Hi Sheridan,

Did you want to put together a 112? I have a spool for you if you think this will fit.

If so, I'll send it out, NC.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Thanks for the offer Bryan but I think I'll stash the plates for future reference. Just to many projects, I don't know that I'd ever get to it. Very generous of you Hope you enjoy the weekend!
Sheridan
PS have a few 440's stashed, looking forward to those plates!