DAM Quick Finessa - line guide and bail mounting

Started by Floatfisher, October 06, 2017, 07:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floatfisher

Hi everyone,
I just nearly finished the overhaul of a DAM Quick Finessa.
I got into a problem when I tried to install the line roller an the bail.
Right now there is the bail with it's theaded end, a nylon washer, the tungsten carbide line roller - the end of the thread fits through a bore in the arm that connects to the rotor. Then comes a serrated washer and a nut. There is no thread in the arm and when I tighten the nut the line roller is pinched and can't turn anymore.

I think there should be a thread in the arm so that I screw the threaded end ofthe bail in until the line roller just runs fine and then counter it with the nut. Is this right? Is there tread missing in the arm?
When necessary I can make a picture to clarify this.

It would be very helpful if you could explain how this is mounted.

Bob

alantani

i don't know anything about these, but i'll bet a photo would help!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Floatfisher

Here is a picture:

I think that there has once been a thread in the arm.

Bob

foakes

No issues, Bob --

The line guide (roller) does not roll.

Just install the line guide on the bail wire, attach it to the bail arm, attach the serrated lock washer, then snug up the hex nut -- and you are done.

The nylon washer, which I cannot see in your pic -- does not belong to this reel -- and will cause line problems -- just leave it out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Floatfisher

Hi Frank,
thank you for your answer!
I just had a look at the line guide of my DAM Quick 1401, nice reel by the way: Here the bolt that goes through the line guide is slightly thicker than the thread and this shoulder sits on a thin stainless steel washer. When the nut is tightened there still remains room enough for the guide to turn on the bolt. There are about 25 years between these reels. How much of an upgrade ist this turning line guide in your opinion?

foakes

If you are using braid, Bob -- and tossing heavy lures for large fish...

The line roller is useful -- if spooling mono, any advantage is possibly useful -- however, likely negligible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Floatfisher

I will just try it out. Today I was fishing with the newly rebuilt DAM Quick 1401 reel which behaved marvellously.