Reel repairs and when to stop?

Started by GORDASKIPPER, October 20, 2017, 12:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

Purchased a rod reel combo old Fenwick 130lb unlimited in great shape. Penn International  130 circa late 60's early 70's according to serial # from Tony. What is your advice and opinion on what I should cap my spending on parts and or upgrading? I got both for 400.00 not sure what either are worth really?  I will rebuild the rod eventually that is my hobby, but it is fishable in current condition.  I saw reel apart and it not corroded inside and needs a good cleaning. Reel is at local tackle shop for repair, that was our agreement as part of my purchase. What would you or should I do, parts don't come cheap?

alantani

a two speed would have been nice.  i checked http://www.cals2speed.com/price_list.html and did not see a price for converting a 130.  it might be worth checking with him to see if he can do it.  not sure what you would target with something that big. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

FatTuna

If it's in decent shape, I wouldn't go crazy dumping a bunch of money into the reel. If the chrome is pitted really bad, you could replace those parts. I just did that on two 130s that I'm about to list for sale. Made them look brand new. I'd check the drag washers to see what type of material is in there. Last year I upgraded the drag on two 130Hs for a friend. I usually do a bearing rotation on the old Internationals. The spool bearings don't need to be perfect on a reel that big but the pinon bearing needs to be in good shape.

I think you did well at $400 for the combo. If the reel is an International II you really scored. Those are worth $800 to $900 used if it's in great shape. The older Penn 130 and 130H are really only worth something in mint condition with the box, etc. When used they go for $300-$500. 

RowdyW

Quote from: alantani on October 20, 2017, 01:02:27 AM
  not sure what you would target with something that big. 
JAWS!!   :o  ;D ;D

GORDASKIPPER

Thanks for the input...my goal is to use this for pulling big grouper off the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and shark fishing...