Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 10000 i Chattering Noise

Started by Jim Dempsey, October 06, 2017, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dempsey

The 10000i doesn't have centrifugal brakes. Just the spool tensioner, and your thumb. Good idea, though.

Jim Dempsey

Small big update: After essentially fixing the issue that I had; I ordered a larger spool bearing from Boca. The original is really punched onto the spool assembly and only comes as a part of it (no part number). There is a large pin through the shaft holding it in place, but can be removed with a really good squeeze with a pair of the new style Boca pliers. The original bearing measures 7x14x4 mm, but has at least 2 mm of wiggle room between the spool and the locking pin. I installed a 7x14x5 - which is designed for a Shimano reel. What I got out of it was a much smoother cast. A much quieter cast - basically NO sound. And; a much faster release and spinning dwell time. It was a gamble that paid off in spades.

alantani

jim, gotta get you to start taking pictures!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

For reference its common to remove the tip of a cog gear that is made to snap on. A razor blade cuts off the snap on tip so the cog wheel can be used on a reel that uses the C clip to make it secure.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jim Dempsey

Being new to the board; I didn't want to start posting photos of everything like I'm some authority on anything on this board. Thanks for the invite. I'm still trying to get accustomed to the posting etiquette, particularly as it relates to posting photos. A lot of forums discourage it because of the cost of bandwidth.

But; photos I can do! I only wish that I'd saved some of the "before" photos of the 10000i. I took tons when I was disputing the cost with the seller, but deleted them when we settled on a reasonable price. I still have most of the old parts that I can post. I can certainly post all you want of the completed project. Would love to get some opinions on how it looks / suggestions / constructive criticism.

One question though: How the heck do you get the Cal's grease residue off the side plates??? I've tried Dawn, alcohol, etc. I don't dare want to use anything that might damage the finish or silk screening. I'd sure like to see that "out of the box" luster. 1 10000i, 2 10000CL's done and working great. Great condition, in my opinion.

I've been asked  to do some videos by Bocca; so I'm holding off on the 3rd 10000CL until I get some more line, etc. I should have a 1200 yard spool of Sufix 832 #80 here tomorrow and I'll begin. The bearings should be here today. I'm going to show a breakdown, cleaning, inspection, and lubing of the 10000CL. I've already opened it, and on first glance; it doesn't look like it's ever been used. Just looks like tarry 1994 lube. Will remove the bearings. clean them, and video comparison testing using 3oz, 1oz, 1/2oz 1/3oz weights (5 casts each), average, then replace with Boccas. Wash, rinse, and repeat. Should be interesting. Also going to do a simple comparison video of a Morrum M3600C with the same standards. Already cleaned and refurbed it. Same with a Revo STX-SHS.  Opted for that one because I'm not sure if there's going to be a big enough difference when I do it with my MGXtremes, but will video it anyway in case there's something shocking out of that. Let's face it: The MGXtreme is pretty hardcore right out of the box.

I'm going to send them to Jeff at Bocca and they're free to use them if they turn out decent. If I don't gag at the sight of me on the camera; I'll post them on YouTube, as well. Meeting with a videographer this weekend to discuss ideas / format. Got permission from the school board last night to use the football field. You've got to understand - this ISN'T something I've ever done before. I'm excited, but freaking out at the same time.

OK. Let me try to post a photo of some of the leftovers from the 10000i. Hopefully; they'll show up. What you can't appreciate is the amount of pitting. You can see some on the handle, but that's after I'd tried to buff it out. Nah; ain't gonna work! The nut retainer and set screw were dissolved. This reel had apparently been submerged in salt water for some time. I'll try to post another photo of the gear side after I'd cleaned it up and replaced the parts.

Jim Dempsey

A few more. The 10000i after cleaning and replacement of damaged parts. The origin of this thread - the suspected cog gear before I snipped of the tip and replaced with a c-clip.  Morrum before and after. And, an after shot of the gears of one of the 10000CL's.

OK; I'll have to post the CL separately.

Jim Dempsey

10000CL innards. Trust me:  They really are much cleaner and brighter in real life! I'm not a very good photographer.

Bryan Young

WIt, what, that's a 2-speed reel. I just picked up one from Alan that I want to study a little.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 17, 2017, 05:53:21 AM
WIt, what, that's a 2-speed reel. I just picked up one from Alan that I want to study a little.

WAS a 2-speed reel. 10000C & CL yes, in production for a very long time, like late 60s to late '90s or 2000. Replaced by single-speed  gold colored 10000 Big Game and later black 10000i.