Daiwa Procyon 3000

Started by Scattergun2570, October 09, 2017, 06:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So I am very interested in learning to service my own reels. I took apart a Procyon 3000 Spinner..not the best idea,,but I guess thats the only way to see whats doing inside. Anyway..I am having some issues..the first one is the stabilizer bar, part # 56. I don`t see how its held in place,,doesnt seem to click in or anything..so it just keeps on falling out of the little hole. Second is part # 73 a thin washer..I only see one of these on the schematic..but there are definitely 2 that came out of the reel..I do recall at least one sitting on the back side of the main gear..but no idea where the second one goes..like I said I only see one on the schematic..Are there any tutorials here on Daiwa spinners of this type? pictures videos? Thanks

alantani

i hope someone can help.  i'm not familiar with these at all.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Crow on October 09, 2017, 05:11:06 PM
Maybe the info you need is here :
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/index.html

I have a printed schematic here,,would it be different on the Daiwa site?

Crow

No,probably not...I overlooked that you had a paper drawing , sorry !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on October 09, 2017, 06:15:49 AM
So I am very interested in learning to service my own reels. I took apart a Procyon 3000 Spinner..not the best idea,,but I guess thats the only way to see whats doing inside. Anyway..I am having some issues..the first one is the stabilizer bar, part # 56. I don`t see how its held in place,,doesnt seem to click in or anything..so it just keeps on falling out of the little hole. Second is part # 73 a thin washer..I only see one of these on the schematic..but there are definitely 2 that came out of the reel..I do recall at least one sitting on the back side of the main gear..but no idea where the second one goes..like I said I only see one on the schematic..Are there any tutorials here on Daiwa spinners of this type? pictures videos? Thanks

Take some pictures and we can figure it out.

There are shims on both the main gear and pinion. The washers you have go there (main can use two).

The rail for the oscillation block often just rests inside, held in position when you close the reel.

nelz

Yes, pics would help with what you mentioned. Unfortunately, having pics or the schematic won't help when you hit the "magseal" parts.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: nelz on October 09, 2017, 10:22:26 PM
Yes, pics would help with what you mentioned. Unfortunately, having pics or the schematic won't help when you hit the "magseal" parts.

I do not believe this is Magseal

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on October 09, 2017, 09:06:18 PM

There are shims on both the main gear and pinion. The washers you have go there (main can use two).

The rail for the oscillation block often just rests inside, held in position when you close the reel.

Ok,,but I don't see any shim on the pinion on the schematic

Scattergun2570

Quote from: johndtuttle on October 09, 2017, 09:06:18 PM

There are the two washers...like say I know there was at least one on the main gear..only seems to be one on schematic

johndtuttle

Those are too big to be shims for the main gear as they typically fit snugly on the shaft where the handle connects.

Could they be Washer (11)?

They might also shim under the Oscillating Gear (64).

The Washer (48) appears to be a pinion shim, but these are too small.

Lastly there is the "O-ring" (41) that may be a Rotor Shim, these may be the right size.

The thing about spinning reels and shims is they are often not shown on the schematic because they are used to adjust tolerances of any number of parts to provide smooth operation and vary from production run to run. Too loose and the parts wear too fast or make noise or bind, and the same is true if too tight.

You have to carefully note where they come from whenever you take apart a reel. It can be hard as they tend to stick to parts and fall off when you least expect it.

Crow

I'd agree that they aren't main gear shims, but how does the OD of the shim compare to the OD of the pinion bearing ? Is it possible they are used to stop "fore and aft" play of the pinion bearing, in it's bore?

Scattergun2570

So if these shims are not pictured on the schematic and we have a situation such as this how in the world do you figure out how to put things back together? Can I send it back to Daiwa in pieces,for servicing & reassembly?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on October 10, 2017, 05:04:18 PM
So if these shims are not pictured on the schematic and we have a situation such as this how in the world do you figure out how to put things back together? Can I send it back to Daiwa in pieces,for servicing & reassembly?

Yes, any Daiwa Service Center can do it. They will be familiar with the expected tolerances on all parts of the reel and be able to re-assemble it ideally (caveat: no repair center is always perfect).

If you sent it to me I would work with Daiwa to make sure we got it right, at no charge other than maybe $10 for return shipping 2-day air. I am not a service center, but have been know to be handy at such things.

I'd take photos and do a service tutorial for this site etc.

Just let me know.  ;)

nelz

The shims are used to center the drive gear from side to side. The number varies from one reel to another due to slight differences in manufacturing. If you don't get them right, cranking won't be as fluid as it could be. You'll have to experiment if you didn't see which side they were on.

A while back, I bought a used Daiwa SOL that was a little grindy, cleaning/lubing made no difference. Then I tried rearranging the shims. The result was amazing, spun like a brand new reel. These shims are extremely thin too, you would never expect how they make such a huge difference! And yes, my reel had more of them than the schematics showed.

It's been a while so I don't remember how the stabilizer bar is secured, but I believe it gets secured once the cover is in place???

Btw, I thought you had the newer Procyon which does have Magseal, didn't know there was an older model.