makaira 10II or 16II?

Started by steelfish, October 10, 2017, 06:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

for reels, these are my recommendations, based on performance and price, ease of maintenance and the risk of potential problems down the line. while not perfect, the reels listed below minimally satisfy all four criteria. here goes......

130# - Okuma makaira 50 or penn international 50

100# - Okuma makaira 20 or penn international 30

80# - okuma makaira 16 or penn international 16

60# bait - penn international 12

60# jig - penn torque 40N

50# bait - penn torque 30 two speed

50# jig - avet hxj two speed

40# - okuma makaira 10, penn torque 25N or avet jx two speed

30# - okuma makaira 8 two speed, okuma andros 5 two speed, penn torque 15 two speed, or avet mx raptor two speed

my personal reel/rod set ups are as follows:

30# bait - penn torque 15 two speed and phenix black diamond hybrid 838mh

40# bait - penn torque 25N two speed and phenix black diamond hybrid 760H

50# bait - penn torque 30 two speed and phenix black diamond hybrid 700xh

60# jig - penn torque 40N and phenix black diamond hybrid 869xh cut down to 8 feet

60# bait - penn 12 vsx and united composites raptor

80# bait - makaira 16 and united composites centaur

100# bait - makaira 20 and united composites viper

130# bait - makaira 50 and united composites invictus

you didn't mention rods, but they are 50% of the equation, both in terms of performance and price. as a general rule, i would expect to spend as much on the rod as the reel. yes, these rod/reel combos average $1000 each. still, matching a new reel with an old school rod would be, well, less than optimal. good luck! alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on November 21, 2017, 05:05:56 PM

you didn't mention rods, but they are 50% of the equation, both in terms of performance and price.  matching a new reel with an old school rod would be, well, less than optimal. good luck! alan

thanks Alan, always nice to see your personal recommendations and combos, so we dont have to spend tons of money for the best reel or rod outhere.

I have 3 nice rods as options (my others are old school).

- Phenix 820H  30-60 which have been really good using 80# braid and 25# drag on a Baja Special
- Phenix Black Diamond 700H 20-60, which I normally use on a Trinidad 16, 65#braid and 20# drag
- Super Seeker 6460XH 50-80, I plan to use it with the penn 16s and 100# braid, but I find that like the blank more than current configuration with the All-rollers, so, my winter project is to change the rollers for some XHN Alps guides which I already have.

for the Mak15 I plan to use the Phenix axis 820H which is a nice composite rod, plenty of backbone and still light, I recently used it with the Baja Special and gave a nice fight to a 20# YT, while not a monster YT its a nice sized fish for this latitudes and would be an average fish for the Mak15, that or a big Cabrilla 20-25# who figh like no tomorrow.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Those that I know who have purchased this reel that like it & use it often have come up with their own technique for cranking it while using at a heavy drag setting. 

Had a 15 until a friend loaned me his Andros 12. His Andros was as close to my dream reel as I had come across. It held as much line as my 15 with plenty of drag.

I hope this reel works out for you.... If it doesnt... well...all is not lost. The fix will be easy. Its why we all come here.... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 22, 2017, 02:29:42 AM
I hope this reel works out for you.... If it doesnt... well...all is not lost. The fix will be easy. Its why we all come here.... Jeff

If by chance I dont like it, then to the trash, I mean to the classified section it goes, not big deal, where is the fun if Im now allowed to keep buying and testing different reels?
at the end even if I find it as good as everybody say, a stronger and better reel might appear next year and I will want it too  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on November 21, 2017, 06:24:40 AM

I actually set my mind on a mak15, I really like the size of the mak10 but would like the extra Line capacity for some local deep reefs and would like to use the reel as goto reel on anything local.

well, finally I didnt get a mk-10 or a Mk-16, I ended up getting the size between, the Makaira 15 SEa on my hands, Im really happy that it also ended up been a bit smaller in size than I though it would be, I wont have any problem to use it with any fish that swims in the northern Sea of Cortez.
it will be used for big Sierras macks, big cabrilla groupers, YT, other groupers and reef critters, it feels perfect in my hands, I have small hands and it still feels small, I also dont find it too much wide as some guys said, line capacity is perfect and the reel is as strong as it everybody knows in a small package, it will be fished with 100# braid as main line, I just got some JB 130# hollow from Lee and I will see if I can learn to splice it and add a long section at the end of the main line and use mono or floro 60/80 mono loop to loop leaders depeding the targeted fish.
thanks to SocalAngler, johndtuttle and other guys that point me up to this direction on getting a smaller reel than a Mak16

Im still on how you can feel a quality engineering work on the reel, Now I cant wait to try it on a nice fish

Later I will post some pictures to compare the size to other known reels in case someone wants to see some comparative pics as reference in a future.
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rivverrat

I think you'll be much happier with this reel for the use you describe than you would have been with a 16.

The Andros 12 & Mak 15 hold about the same amount of line which is a lot. I could throw my Mak 15 noticeably farther than either of my standard sized Andros 12's. Which didn't make much sense to me. Can't see the slightly wider spool making that big a difference. This was with a 2 oz. sinker.
With live bait not so noticeable. As is the case most times when comparing reels in the same class or close to the same size.... Jeff

MarkT

It should serve you well. I used a Mak 15 bottom fishing at the Tres Maria's out of a Puerto Vallarta last week and didn't find it to be too wide. I have big hands and had no problem keeping the line level with my left thumb. Would be fine for live bait too. Would probably wobble uncomfortably if yoyoing or any other things that have to have a fast retrieve.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

well, finally got the mk-15 wet, I found it perfect for my needs, Im a happy camper
not a single wobble problem while reeling on a fish with 20# drag at strike, surprised that there is almost not noticiable resistance on the handle.

got a nice cabrilla grouper on it and decent yellowtail on a last fishing trip of 2017, I've found the high speed perfect to fight the fish without the need to switch to the low speed gears, I just activated the low speed on the YT to check how it works and ooh buy the low speed just kill the fish, its a true winch with 15" per turn.

call me Mr. Happy  ;D ;D, not often I made good desitions but this one was perfect, more details and pictures soon on another thread
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Nice work mate - a successful conclusion to a very interesting thread!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Rivverrat

Very glad trhis reel is working out for you. I know a little bit about the time & money it can take finding the best reel for use.... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 19, 2017, 05:37:01 PM
Very glad trhis reel is working out for you. I know a little bit about the time & money it can take finding the best reel for use.... Jeff

talk me about it Jeff, as for now this reel came to stay, same deal with the Baja Special, the make a perfect pair.

I liked the power and size of the mk16 since the beginning but not the weight and bulky reel for the kind of fisheries we have locally, if only okuma ever think to make a mk-16n then I will buy it without hesitation but as of today its only a dream.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on November 23, 2017, 02:35:20 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on November 22, 2017, 02:29:42 AM

If by chance I dont like it, then to the trash, I mean to the classified section it goes, not big deal, where is the fun if Im now allowed to keep buying and testing different reels?
at the end even if I find it as good as everybody say, a stronger and better reel might appear next year and I will want it too  ;D ;D

Yep next year came up too soon with new reels LOL, soooo, I keep hearing things about a new makaira reel coming up.

a Mak15T  (mak15 Tall and narrow)

danm!!! did you guys remember that I sold my fathom 40LD2 and wanted to find a reel similar on the makaira lineup, it didnt existed back them so I got the mak15, rumor says that it might be show up at Icast 2018.

expect so see me selling some gear in a near future, cuz I will need space and $$$ for that mak15T
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Alex, you know there will always be better reels than what we have  ;D   I'm really surprised you havent given the Avet HX Raptor a try.  It's the one reel I wish I'd not let go. I"ll get another one at some point.

Over all I'm pretty happy & content with the reels I have for my most favored fish. Took me a while to get at this place.

If you would, describe for me the perfect reel that would fill this hole in your reel arsenal ?  How much line capacity & what weight lines would you want ? 

Rivverrat

Alex, also I'm wondering what the weight of this new Mak will be ?  The Penn 12 has always been a great size reel & weighs 32 oz. thats pretty close to Baja / US113 with well over twice the strength with much better over all performance & durability.

When I think about it this will more than likely be the reel I will get for some of my fishing vs the HX Raptor. The 12 or 16 VISX... Jeff