DIY power wrapper Project on the works

Started by steelfish, October 06, 2017, 07:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, its more like a restoring project from a forgotten DIY rod wrapper with missing parts.

Yesterday I was visited at my office by a guy which is a US retired person, he told me that he was told by one of his friends that Im fixing rods and reels locally, he was into rod building for him and friends when he lived in florida, USA many years ago but no any longer, now he wanted to give me some rod building stuff he still had laying around on his Garage, long story short, he gave me a his DIY power wrapper which is basically a  sewing motor with the pedal, a pulley with some Daytona bearings and a milldrill head attached to it, all that screw them on a long 1x4  5ft plank.
he also gave me a small box drawers full of small stuff (I dont know if I will ever use them) but on some of them there were some old gudenbrod thread spools, some are still full and some were used as expected but I think I now have some thread for many rods or to restore old rods with those hard to find colors (Dwigh aka newell nut gave me a bunch of thead spools few months back and miscellaneous rod building accesories too, thanks again buddy)

any way, looks like the DIY power wrapper needs lots of TLC, for instance a new and bigger chuck because I mostly do rod repairs and the butts of the factory rods dont fit on the current milldrill "jaws", I also have to find a way to attach 2-3 stands with V cuts or roller wheels to complete the wraper and the sliding thread carrier too.
I want to keep this restoring project on the low cost, maybe a new chuck made with PVD caps and big screws to hold the rod, hopelly I will get a much quality rod wrapper next year.

The Baja Guy

Crow

It beats the heck out of the way I do it ! Lay it across my knees , and roll it in my fingers ;D!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: Crow on October 06, 2017, 07:32:09 PM
   It beats the heck out of the way I do it ! Lay it across my knees , and roll it in my fingers ;D!

currently Im using a DIY manual wrapper I made myself and its working really good for my needs, but somehow my needs were changed for everybody needs LOL, I now have 5 factory rods from charter guides pending to be rebuilded (taking the stock guides out, sand them, paint them and rewrap them with custom colors and names), I already have make 15 of those jobs, I can say this it was fun until the 10th rebuild job I think, LOL.

now I need some "powered" help so, this gift fits like a glove on my needs.
this is my current rod wrapper, if you want to take a look.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18922.0

The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Hi steel fish, you have some good gear there, once you set it up, I would  remove the chuck from the shaft, fix some PVC pipe to the shaft, about the average size PVC that the average rod butt can fit into, if you get a larger rod butt, just rap mascing tape around the PVC & the rod butt, don't need much tape, as a bace for the rod raper, I would fix it to some C section steel, cut a grove about 3/8 or 5/16 along the C section, get some old bed casters, place a 5/16 bolt in the centre bottom of the caster bace, then mount the casters in the C section with wing nuts, so you can slide the caster were ever you need it along the C section, you can also place velcrove over the casters to stop your rod from jumping of the casters as it revolves, mount your thread & tentioner on a piece of 4X4 timber, so you can slide it back & forth, were ever you wish to place the gydes, you can have 3 or 4 casters along the C section. if this make sence, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Quote from: Donnyboat on October 07, 2017, 03:11:45 AM
Hi steel fish, you have some good gear there, once you set it up, I would  remove the chuck from the shaft, fix some PVC pipe to the shaft, about the average size PVC that the average rod butt can fit into, if you get a larger rod butt, just rap mascing tape around the PVC & the rod butt, don't need much tape, as a bace for the rod raper, I would fix it to some C section steel, cut a grove about 3/8 or 5/16 along the C section, get some old bed casters, place a 5/16 bolt in the centre bottom of the caster bace, then mount the casters in the C section with wing nuts, so you can slide the caster were ever you need it along the C section, you can also place velcrove over the casters to stop your rod from jumping of the casters as it revolves, mount your thread & tentioner on a piece of 4X4 timber, so you can slide it back & forth, were ever you wish to place the gydes, you can have 3 or 4 casters along the C section. if this make sence, cheers Don.

It makes sense, but I got lost on the terminology  (tech words), would it be too much asking for a drag?
The Baja Guy

oc1

I can't see the belt.  If it is a smooth and slightly loose belt it can serve as a drag or slip clutch.

I have an old lathe that has a 1.5 inch PVC cap for a chuck.  There are three holes drilled around the sides of the cap and each hole has a thumb screw threaded into it.  The rod butt is put into the PVC cap and the three thumb screws are tightened until they clamp the butt.  It's just like clamping a Christmas tree into a Christmas tree stand.

-steve

gstours

Your in business now!  ;)  Its only getting better for you!   You can make an adjustable slip clutch real easy by using some old drag washers in between some fender washers the size of the machine bolt you use to put in your 3 jaw chuck.  Also a good enough inexpensive can be made from a 2inch pvc white cap.   you can jb weld some nuts inside and outside to use 3 quarter inch thumb screws.   
    Rough up the are before gluing and turn it for a few minuits and use the quik stuff.....    You can use a nylock hex nut to adjust the slip of the clutch.   externally of the cup chuck  ....
   The advantage of the clutch is huge..... and you can back it up as you go oops!   real handy....   Have fun with the project. :D