Rod building screw ups

Started by droppedit, October 11, 2017, 12:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

I know everyone has had the fly land in the finish or the power goes off during the night and ruins the butt wrap but I thought I'd share something that happened a few years ago.

I used to have an old ice maker motor on my drying bench. It turned about 15 rpm but was 1/2 hp gear reduction, smooth and quiet. Anyways, I was popping bubbles with my alcohol torch on the finish which I always start at the top and work back. As the rod was turning the guide caught the sleeve of my shirt and started twisting it up. This was not good as it was a 8' heavy jig rod and my switch was way back by the butt. Gotta love that 1/2 horse motor as it was still spinning. By now it is starting to rip the sleeve and the guide was digging into my arm, torch still burning. The rod is now off the rollers half out of the drying box and still spinning. Blow out torch and set down, strip off tee-shirt and finally turn off the motor. Now I'm covered with high build finish, tee-shirt (which was new) is ruined and the rod which the owner wanted yesterday has to be started from scratch. Somebody told me that rod building was relaxing! I don't speak with him anymore.

I'm sure there are some great stories to share out there.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

thorhammer

Yep, but I can't top that one, Dave!!!!

Moth in diamond wrap- noooooo, couldn't have been on the little tip bands, no: check. power fail and nice epoxy stalagmite: check. epoxy applied and forgot a trim band on one side of a guide: check. forgot the last alignment check, JUST TO BE SURE, before epoxy- check. label peels up when epoxy applied: check. I'm sure there are more....

droppedit

A close friend of mine was power wrapping some under wraps. Things were going good till his 125 pound Rottweiler sat on his pedal foot ;) I still smile on that one.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

steelfish

dont you have cats?
well I do have 3 lovely ones  ;D ;D   :-\   :'( :'(

cats loves how the rod turns on the drier, they can spend hours seeing the rod turning and turning, I teached my old cats to stay away from my rods when they are on the drier (no cats were harmed during the process, I swear) but few months back I forgot that we had a new young kitty, that one is a mess !!
it was soo young (the kitty) that never left my daughter's room since she brought it home, until that day that I left the rod turning on the drier, the rod had like 1hr on it when I went out to check something on the car, on my return there was a young cat full of epoxy, a rod still turning on the drier, but the guides scratching on the table on every turn cuz the stands were on the floor.
the cat was looking at me with a face of "it wasnt me".

the rest are just normal things like flies, moths, too much flame (in my beginnings)

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

This is why I don't build rods.
I can see that happening to me, but I would have probably caught my shirt on Fire before I could get it off.
Life is Good!

Bill B

Bwwwaaahahahaha..... ;D ;D    Thank you for the smiles....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Newell Nut

Funny looking back. I have built so many rods that they are very routine and mess anywhere and no weird screw ups. But looking back now I remember ruining a few tee shirts getting epoxy on them back in the learning days. I usually do not charge extra for the gnat inlay. I have only had a couple of those.