Silver Beach 99

Started by Stevedel, September 29, 2017, 11:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Good call. the S's got some bad rep because they are Delrin rather bakelite and chip more easily . I personally like the S, whether stock or to build out, because they have solid cross bars, chromed bridges, yokes, jacks and occasionally eccentric, and steel gears. Just change to carbontex and a better handle and you are already ahead of the game. all the better with red anodized spool.

Stevedel

Should start a new thread but since you're here...

The 500S is bright red and should be better suited to a Tiburon red anodized frame than a maroon 500 would. I think that a red spool might be overkill. The black spool and handle knob provides the right balance.

Now, we can think about Black Pearl innards. That pretty much is dependent on the cash available at the time of order.

The Silver Beach "500" is going on the shelf until I determine the best way to properly fit the side-plate. It needs to be sanded but where and how much. I'm thinking the side-plate. The original Silver Beach fits well and it would be easier to find another Jigmaster than a Silver Beach handle side, inside ring. I may just tighten the side-plate, hand tight and locate, drill and tap a new hole. After all, I'm not gonna sell this thing, I expect to use it.

RowdyW

On the 99 you just have to elongate the slotted hole a bit so the plate can turn a little further.

Stevedel

Actually, Rudy, I can barely rotate the side-plate at all. That sucker is tight. I'm going to have to get out the Dremel.

I have a different Jigmaster, an older maroon one, that fits like a glove. Thumb-screw and all.

I don't quite get why the black one is a problem. I can barely force it into the right side ring without turning it. I think, in this instance, a fine drum sanding roll is warranted.

I'm certain that, in most instances and my reading of this website bares this out, elongating the slots would be the cure.

I always seem to find the extremes. I bought this as a bare side-plate only, no other parts attached.

Thanks again, Rudy, but this one is not going to cooperate.

thorhammer

could well be the bakelite is swollen. happens.

mo65

It could also just be period mismatch...lots of these parts had slight variations over the years. These quick take apart sides had two different styles...one has just little dimples to slide into place and another has a post in place of that dimple. Same with your thumb screw alignment...Jiggys used a different handle side ring than the Silverbeach. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

PacRat

Here's what I recommend: Clean the mating surfaces real good with alcohol or something so there no grease or oil residue. Then using a Sharpie pen marks all the mating areas real good and black. Then attempt to fit them together. Don't force them? The black ink will bub off where there is too much contact. Remove a little material in these areas using your favorite abrasive. I like to use Cratex rubber abrasive bits and a Dremel but you can use pin files or sandpaper if that's what you have. Keep repeating this process until you're happy with the fit. Go slow...remember it's always easier to remove more material than it is to put some back on. Once you're really happy with the fit you can remove the Sharpie ink with alcohol. The I like to use a felt Dremel buffing bit and some metal polish to make it really smooth. Be sure to grease these surfaces when you re-assemble.
Good luck with it!
Mike

Stevedel

Thanks, guys.

Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight.

PacRat, thanks for the cratex suggestion. I was in fear that, even a fine sanding drum would be too aggressive.

Say, what would a regular, black, Senator look like if a person removed all of the chrome and just left highly polished brass?

I wonder why I have so many unfinished projects?

RowdyW

Quote from: Stevedel on October 11, 2017, 09:18:38 PM

Say, what would a regular, black, Senator look like if a person removed all of the chrome and just left highly polished brass?

I'd say you would have metal that would attract corrosion quicker. Clear lacquer wears off to quickly & grease will darken it over time. You could always have it cleared with powder coat but it seems you are having a problem raising funds for any of your proposed projects. Time to pick one idea and follow it through to completion.

Stevedel

An object like a full polished brass Senator would be an artistic expression not a tool for sport.

Ah, Rudy, if you only knew.

PacRat

There is a polished brass Penn on here somewhere. I saw it quite a while back but I don't remember who posted it. It may not have survived the photobucket debacle. Maybe someone else will know where to find it.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Stevedel

Looks like another future project to me.

Thanks Mo, of course a guy could never do that to a "Silver Beach".